To Hyundaitech --- Question on 2005 Tucson service

Hyundaitech, I'm coming up on my 60k service interval for the 2005 Tucson v6. I've gotten conflicting info from a few of the local Hyundai dealerships on what needs to be done at this interval.

I need to do the suggested "normal" work (oil change, tranny/radiator flushes, tire balance/rotate, etc)

Price for this service range from $369 - $750 (time to complete ranges from 2.5 to 6 hours)

Second, I'm told I need to change the timing and drive belts by two of the dealerships while a third says there is no timing belt to change but there is a timing chain that just to be tightened.

Price for timing belt changes range from $369 - $599 (except for the one dealership who says they tighten the chain as part of the 60k service). (time to complete ranges from 0 to 4 hours).

Dumb question - who do I believe and what is a reasonable price to expect for the service interval and timing belt/chain work?

As you can see above there are some extremes on what a consumer can expect to find in any given market.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Ken in Florida

Reply to
Ken

Hey, Ken. Here's what's required:

  1. Oil change.
  2. Air filter.
  3. Spark plug replacement.
  4. Timing belt replacement. (Yes, you have one.)
  5. Replace coolant.
  6. Several inspections.

Since the plenum must be removed to replace the plugs, I'd also recommend replacing the plug wires. This will hopefully prevent spending another large some of money in the near future because you have a wire problem.

You'll probably want to replace the drive belt when replacing the timing belt, especially if it's in poor condition. The belt must be removed to replace the timing belt, so there should be no additional labor to replace it at that time.

Replacing or flushing the transmission fluid is required only if the fluid condition warrants or if you fit the severe use stipulations in the owner's manual. If it were my car, even if the fluid were in good condition, I'd drain and fill it every 30k just for good measure. But again, that's my personal preference.

I also believe that the coolant service only need be done on a time interval basis. If you've already replaced the coolant once, then it's been less than two years since you've done it. In my opinion, the only reason to do it again based on mileage is for warranty protection.

You'll probably find that most service facilities add extras (such as chemicals or special "cleaning" services) to the service that aren't required, and in most cases aren't needed. Find out what, specifically, each service entails and compare with what you need and what you want to do. Then you can do a reasonable job of comparing apples to apples. You may find it least expensive to purchase everything a la carte.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to mention that one service advisor said if I replace the timing belt BEFORE 60,000 miles Hyundai provides warranty on belt and damage caused by belt breakage up to

100,000 miles. But, if I wait to replace at, say, 60,001 miles Hyundai will only warrant for one year. I've never heard of this type of warranty extension with Hyundai. Is this accurate info?
Reply to
Ken

That sounds like absolute BS. While they specify that the timing belt should be replaced at 60K miles, they don't say "at or before". A few miles one way or the other doesn't matter and there is no way they could ever enforce something like that.

My experience is that what Hyundai wants to see is that customers make a good faith effort to maintain their vehicles as specified in the Maintenance Manual. Whether you change your timing belt at 59,936 miles or 60,023 miles doesn't make any difference. They covered a transmission problem for me on my old Excel when it was nearly 4000 mile out of warranty.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

This isn't a warranty extension, you already have this (if you're the original owner). Your warranty covers the timing belt for 10 years/100,000 miles, provided you replace it at the proper interval. If you're beyond the interval and it brakes, you could be out of luck. But if you've replaced it, you're still covered. Doesn't much matter when it was done, just that it was done and you haven't reached the next maintenance interval or the end of the warranty period.

Reply to
hyundaitech