touchy gas pedal

Hello all, I have a 04 Sante Fe with the 3.5 V6 and 44,000 miles. In the past few months, the car has developed a peculiar problem. At times, when moderately accelerating from a stop, the car will take off like I've put my put my foot into it. The gas pedal seems very touchy. I brought it to Hyundai and they said it could probably be carbon build up in the throttle body. They wanted $120 bucks to clean it. I turned down the offer. Has anyone run into this before? And if so, what was done to fix the problem?

Thanks, Derek...

Reply to
Derek Voisin

Drive-by-wire throttle. Try this: disconnect battery terminals which will reset the computer to default values. The computer will "learn" again your style of driving and it should (hopefully) remedy the problem. If it doesn't it cost you absolutely nothing to try. It helped when my Hyundai was shifting poorly. The computer re-learned how to shift after above process.

Reply to
kr

Reply to
The Awesome 1

Derek, Try this. Im kinda stealing Hyundaitechs fire here but this is what he told me when I had that problem.

Turn your key on BUT DO NOT START CAR leave it on for about 10 - 15 seconds Then shut it off and then start car, it resets something ( I forget what ) but it worked for me !!

Tunez

P.S. If I was wrong, HT please corect me. I was wrong once !!! And it took me 10 years to get rid of her.

Reply to
Tunez

Just turn on and immediately back off. If you wait more than ten seconds, it won't run the throttle sweep.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Do you have to move the throttle or just turn the ignition on and then back off?

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Hmmmmm guess I did mine wrong, but it did do something and the problem went away.... See what happens when you get old ?? you cant remember from the computer to the car...In my case 20 feet or 20 seconds whichever comes first.

Tunez

Reply to
Tunez

It?s possible the throttle needs to be reinitialized. Turn the key to the on position (don?t start the car) and immediately back off. The throttle plate will complete a sweep and should be initialized within ten seconds.

If this doesn?t resolve the issue, it?s possible that an available reprogram will help. Technical service bulletin 04-36-012 lists a reprogram available to provide "smoother feeling initial acceleration."

"Derek Voisin" wrote: > Hello all, I have a 04 Sante Fe with the 3.5 V6 and 44,000 > miles. In the > past few months, the car has developed a peculiar problem. At > times, when > moderately accelerating from a stop, the car will take off > like I've put my > put my foot into it. The gas pedal seems very touchy. I > brought it to > Hyundai and they said it could probably be carbon build up in > the throttle > body. They wanted $120 bucks to clean it. I turned down the > offer. Has > anyone run into this before? And if so, what was done to fix > the problem? > > Thanks, > Derek...

Reply to
Hyundaitech

Nope. Don't touch the throttle. Just cycle the key. Although you've got a different system, Matt, your car uses the same procedure.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

D.....