Traction control/ABS 2002 SantaFe

I have been having an ongoing problem with the TCS/ABS on my 2002 SantaFe. First the dash warning lights would not go out. The local Hyundai dealer replaced a sensor. When the lights came back on a few months later the dealer said I had a broken tone ring and replaced the part. Well for the last 2 weeks the TCS/ABS warning lights have been off. Tonight I had to drive home in freezing rain. The roads were glare ice and guess what? The ABS did not work. I pressed on the brake and the car began to slide. I pressed harder expecting the ABS to modulate the brakes and the car continued to slide because the brakes had locked. The was no ABS modulation. So tomorrow I will call the dealer and ask them to take another stab at fixing the ABS system. Does anyone have any idea what the dealer could be missing and should be fixing?

R. Larkin

Reply to
Richard

If the ABS lamp didn't come on, the ABS system doesn't believe there's a problem.

If you're traveling slowly and lock all wheels, the computer may interpret this as a stopped vehicle and therefore not apply the ABS. This is typically impossible to do unless you're on a very slippery surface.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thank you for the reply. I also drive a Mercury Sable with ABS. The Sable behaves much differently in the same conditions. The SantaFe slid in the alleyway behind my garage. I then took out the Sable in the very same conditions, driving the same speed and the ABS worked on the Sable. Also in the SantaFe, should the ABS dash light come on when the brakes are pulsing?

Thank you,

R. Lark> If the ABS lamp didn't come on, the ABS system doesn't believe there's a > problem.

Reply to
Richard

I don't believe the ABS lamp comes on (unless there's a problem). Then again, I've never been in a position where the ABS activated and I was interested in looking at my dash. :)

Reply to
hyundaitech

ROTFLMAO! Good one!

Reply to