Trannie Fluid and filter change

I am planning on doing my own trannnie fluid and filter change. I believe that the trannie pan has a a drain plug. How much fluid will drain out by removing this plug. Need to know so I can go to the dealer and buy replacement fluid first. My 2000 Sonata V6 has an external trannie fluid filter. The filter appears to be buried under some hoses and wiring. Is it necesaary to remove any hoses to get the filter off. I went to Web Tech and it appears to say that only the air filter assembly needs to be moved out of the way to get to the trannie filter.

Appreciate any comments from someone who has changed one out.

Old_Timer

Reply to
Old_Timer

I usually pull the dipstick out and unplug the range switch on top of the transmission (near the filter). I use a three-fingered filter wrench and an extension to get the old one loose. After that, I can squeeze it out, but it's tight.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks for the reply HyundaiTech. However the term "three fingered filter wrench" has me guessing. Is this the one that is like a cup that fits over the end of the filter?

Old_Timer

Reply to
Old_Timer

Imagine a cup with three fingers instead of a whole cup. The wrench is geared so that the fingers close in when you turn it with a socket wrench. Bought mine at Sears. #47064

Reply to
hyundaitech

Oh yes, I have seen them before. Thank You.

Old_Timer

Reply to
Old_Timer