Tranny problems in '02 accent gsi

anybody else find the transmission is shit in this car, I had mine rebuilt about 2 years ago and it has started slipping and taking forever to shift. of course they only gave an 18 month warranty, so i'm just wondering what the most cost efficient way to go about this is.

Reply to
doctorvapor

With a car that is 11 years old, there are not many cost efficient options.

  1. Junk yard tranny. Cheap, but you don't know if it is going to work well until it is installed. This is best if yo are a DIY guy with the equipment to do this type of work.
  2. Rebuild, usually costly, probably more than the value of the car.
  3. New car. Most costly, but you get a 100,000 mile power train warranty

You could ask at the shop that did the rebuild the last time. They may have some low cost repair suggestions.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had the transmission on our '99 Elentra rebuilt about a year ago. It was $1500 but I got about a year's worth of driving before the water pump acted up and I will need to replace that. Figure that a cheap car payment (new/used) would be $250 a month. Did you pay more than $6000 for your car's transmission rebuild? If you paid less, then you got your money's worth out of the rebuild. Also, if you paid anything close to that you were ripped off, but still, taking into consideration car payments can make repairing your older car less painful. In GENERAL, if you maintained the engine well and didn't wreck the car, the normal stuff you have to do to it at its age are: Front Axles (CV) joints (easy to replace yourself, quality parts from raxles.com for Accent and Elentra) under $500. Timing Belt, belts, tensioner (some cars) and water pump for under $500 parts (moderate to do yourself) Struts, $475 rear installed and apx $600 front installed (reputable local shop, not dealer). Toss in an alignment for $55. So for $2100 you should be good to go for a long time. Probably 2x that if you go to the dealer for the work.

Here is a thought, if you scrap the car now you would be lucky to get what, $400? If you fixed the transmission for less than $1500, you could sell it for about $2500 assuming that the A/C works and it is otherwise a reasonable driver. It is a walking man's friend.

KWW