transmission fluid power flush

05 hyundai elantra. 40000k's. Any thoughts on Valvoline's transmission power flush compared to say the Cottman method of draining the conventional way and changing the filter?

<Dan> wrote in message

You need to check your owner's manual and make sure that Valvoline can service the tranny with exactly the fluid specified in the manual - not a "compatible" or "equivalent" ATF. Last I knew, the aftermarket did not have a product that Hyundai approved, or that would work in a Hyundai tranny. Maybe that's changed by now, but you need to make 100% certain before accepting anything but Hyundai approved tranny fluid. It's not a marketing scam - there are real reasons for using the right product.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

http://www.AutoBoardz.com/transmission-fluid-power-flush-Hyundai-ftopict205872.html
Is SPIII the same as ATF111? The latter is what they use at Midas.

The same? No, I'm quite sure of that. And if you are talking ATF (+) III, as I understand it, no that isn't compatible.
But the new ATF+4 supposedly is, and my Hyundai/Kia dealer is using it in all of these types of transmissions.
Tom Wenndt
<Dan> wrote in message wrote:

The same? No, I'm quite sure of that. And if you are talking ATF (+) III, as I understand it, no that isn't compatible.
But the new ATF+4 supposedly is, and my Hyundai/Kia dealer is using it in all of these types of transmissions.
Tom Wenndt
<Dan> wrote in message wrote:

I dont think either ATF+3 or ATF+4 are equivalent. Even the newest Mitsu products offered by DaimlerChrysler still require Diamond ATF, not ATF+3 or ATF+4 like the other products. Diamond ATF is equivalent to SPIII.
"Rev. Tom Wenndt" wrote: > The same? No, I'm quite sure of that. And if you are talking > ATF (+) III, > as I understand it, no that isn't compatible. > > But the new ATF+4 supposedly is, and my Hyundai/Kia dealer is > using it in > all of these types of transmissions. > > Tom Wenndt > > > <Dan> wrote in message > wrote: > > > >>SPIII fluid > >
I do not understand why people do not go to the dealer and have it done right. Your talking about saving 20$ on something that could end up costing you 1000$ to replace.
just my 0.02
Finn
wrote:

http://www.AutoBoardz.com/transmission-fluid-power-flush-Hyundai-ftopict205872.html

Maybe because going to the dealer doesn't really gain you anything, and I suspect the price spread is more than $20. The dealer I bought both of my Sonatas from DOES NOT use SPIII. The use a "BG" magic universal fluid. Yes they are a Hyundai dealer.
I work in the auto industry and transmission fluids are one of the most confusing lubricants/fluids for everyone but here is some information that may help you.
Diamond SP III(Mitsubishi), Kia SP III, Hyundai SP III and Chrysler ATF +3 (Type 7176) are all the same fluid with different trade names. Kind of like drugs with different names but use the same ingredients (i.e. Tylenol, etc). It was originally developed for Chrysler but if you want to call the fluid ATF +3 you would have to pay Chrysler a licensing fee, hence the different trade names but because of certain laws for the auto industry Chrysler must allow other companies to make their own versions.
Another example is Dexron III (GM) and Mercon I (FORD). These are both different trade names for the same fluid.
For warranty purposes you can use any fluid as long as it has passed certification but I would only use fluids from a reputable company that will guarantee its products. The dealer/manufacturer actually has to prove that transmission failure or damage was caused by fluid failure or whatever. They cannot tell you that you must use their fluid! This is illegal according to the Moss-Magnuson Act for automobile aftermarket repairs. But it is your responsibility that you do use a fluid that does meet warranty requirements.
As for ATF +4 this is essentially an upgrade from ATF +3 that Chrysler had developed for their newer transmissions. According to Chrysler ATF +4 is backwards compatible with ATF +3 and they actually recommend using ATF +4 for all applications that used to recommend ATF +3.
Hope this helps.