Transmission flush, or drain and refill?

Threaded View
Which is preferred?

The dealer can do a "flush" with the correct SP-III fluid for $159.

The other option is to just do a drain and refill. This of course, does not
drain all the fluid from the transmission.

After going through the well-known transmission problems with my 1990's Chrysler
products, I am hoping to avoid problems with my Sonata by keeping the fluid
fresh.

Thanks,

KM

Re: Transmission flush, or drain and refill?
On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 12:03:47 -0700 (PDT), Kirk Matheson

Chrysler products, I am hoping to avoid problems with my Sonata by keeping the
fluid fresh.

I'd do what the manual tells you to do and at that mileage too.

I've only ever had a problem with one auto tranny in 50 years of
driving. It is also the only tranny I ever changed fluid in.

The engineers at Hyundai tell you what to do to maintain the warranty
and keep your vehicle running well.  The dealer is looking at making
the best profit.

"Kirk Matheson"  wrote in message

Which is preferred?

The dealer can do a "flush" with the correct SP-III fluid for $159.

The other option is to just do a drain and refill. This of course, does not
drain all the fluid from the transmission.

After going through the well-known transmission problems with my 1990's
Chrysler products, I am hoping to avoid problems with my Sonata by keeping
the fluid fresh.

Thanks,

KM
Honda recommends a drain and fluid replacement -- not a flush.  I suspect
Hyundai is the same.

Re: Transmission flush, or drain and refill?

Thanks for the responses. The recommend fluid change is at 105,000 miles for
"normal" use, and 30,000 for "severe" use.

I know that with a regular drain, some fluid remains in the transmission. Maybe
this is not an issue with modern synthetic fluids.

KM

Re: Transmission flush, or drain and refill?
On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 06:57:17 -0700 (PDT), Kirk Matheson

Even though some oil remains, the dilution with new oil makes it
insignificant. Severe use includes trailer towing and very high
temperatures that most of us never see.

Re: Transmission flush, or drain and refill?

Other than additional cost is there any disadvantage to flushing the
transmission?

Re: Transmission flush, or drain and refill?

On this car, no.  Some cars have a filter, and this service would have the
disadvantage that it does not replace the filter.