transmission leak

Looking at buying a 2004 Santa Fe (sorry, don?t know the model # its a

4WD, V6, loaded, 35,000 km?s) and when I looked at the undercarriage I noticed there is some fresh oil on the tailshaft of the transmission - right in front of the driveshaft. The vehicle is at a Nissan dealer so I pointed it out and he had the mechanics look at it. His answer was that it is not a leaking seal or gasket but is coming from a blow-by system designed by Hyundai for when the vehicle is using the 4WD a lot. Doesn?t sound quite right to me, what do you guys think?

Paul

Reply to
freezin

Transfer case leakage is a common issue on the 2004 Santa Fe. It's possible that it's nothing more than fluid coming out of the breather, but it's also possible that the transfer case is leaking. And most of the leaks are expensive to fix. Removing the transfer case is very labor intensive.

Since your opinion is from a mechanic who likely isn't that familiar with Hyundai vehicles and was relayed through the salesperson, it's a little suspect. If you don't have an account at

(requires Internet Explorer), register and get one (it's free). There's a very nice TSB detailing all the different types of transfer case leakage and what's required to repair them. Some require replacing the transfer case, and you definitely don't want to hear how much that will cost.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I think that my 2002 Santa Fe has a transfer case leak. They fixed it (temporarily) under warranty at ~45K miles. Now at 80K miles it is leaking again. Is there any chance that this is covered under the power train warranty? Thanks, Al __ Arold "Al" Green

Reply to
Arold "Al" Green

If you're the original owner, it should be covered under the powertrain warranty.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks, your help on this newsgroup is very valuable. Al __ Arold "Al" Green

Reply to
Arold "Al" Green