transmission oil

I have a 2008 elantra with about 40000 miles. My independent service shop eants to use a synthetic oil to change the transmission oil. This wll not be a flush. Is this a good idea? If not, what should I use?

You should use whatever Hyundai says you should use. Wrong oil can cause problems.
Are you sure it has to be changed already? I'm not sure what the manual says but I thought it was 60,000

Synth's are OK, AS LONG AS, they meet or exceed the specs of your tram. First find if your Lantra uses SP III or SP IV, then find an equivalent synth. You are not going to save money, and Hyundai will drop their warranty if you use the wrong fluid ... SO, why bother ???
Caveat: there ain't such thing as Universal ATF, if your shop is trying to push that, find another Shop.