Transmission Problems Automatic

1998 Hyundai Elantra. Suddenly with no warning lost reverse and all forward drive over 35 mph. Will pull forward but if you try to accelerate it will act like in neutral.
Fluid level is good. No odd smell or discoloration to the fluid.
Any ideals will be greatly appreciated.
Rusty
Yep, 2500 for a new transmission, mine did the same thing.

Trade it in. Park where they don't have to back up to evaluate the trade in value.
This is just a longshot, but, you didnt happen to put cardboard in front of the radiator to make the heater work better, did you ? Sure way to cook the auto trans.
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:48:39 -0500, Dave in Lake Villa wrote:

Nope never had to do anything to make it heat better. Had the best heater I've ever had. Have to crack the windows when using the defroster cause otherwise it got too hot. Temp guage was always less then half.
Thats what makes it so strange, no warning no slipping just quit.
Ru Tac wrote:

Most likely a sensor failure. It sounds like it is going into "limp" mode. Have the dealer check for any set codes.
Matt

I was curious if that could be a problem ie sensor failure or other electrical problem. Only dealer is 80 plus miles away. There is one closer now but he has had them for about a month and has always had a F- service dept. 30 plus miles away.
Just realized that I'd done a typo in another posting the I'll was supposed to be I'd as in I would but I'm not holding my breath on it working.
I followed the cable check items in the online manual and it checked out ok.
It was a run errends car. It's looking like replacement will be cheaper then fixing. Oh well it was a cheapy to putter around in. I've gotten my moneys worth out of it.
Hyundais are just starting to penetrate into this area so none of the local wrecking yards have any thing for them. Local parts stores are special order on all parts.

Why the dealer? Do you have any reliable, honest local transmission shops? This is not a warranty issue so you are free to go wherever you'd like.
I was afraid that this was the answer I would get. I'll try a filter fluid change but I'm not holding my breath on it working.
I was kind of hoping there was a fuse or something I didn't know about. Since it has the OD and ECT.
Thanks Rusty
Not really worth trying the fluid/filter change. It won't cause your tranny to act the way it does. You might check the shift cable and range switch to be sure they're adjusted and working properly, however.
But don't get your hopes up too high on that either. Probably needs a trans.
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 22:01:52 -0400, hyundaitech wrote:

About the answer I was afraid of. I didn't think it would help to try the filter.
The car is a run about type has 100,568 miles on it so probably just wave bye bye to it. I bought it used with 76,000 miles, on the odometer, in 2002 for $1200. So I would say I've gotten my moneys worth out of it.
Thanks for the answers every one. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before I got rid of it.
Ru Tac wrote:

Why would you change the filter and fluid before you find out what is wrong with the transmission? Throwing parts at a problem is not a very good diagnosis technique.
Matt

Read my Elantra 2000 thread :(