Trip report '06 Sonata

Just recently returned from vacation, and the rental car I had was an '06 Sonata V6 with 1179 miles on it. I picked the car up in Denver a bit disappointed since I was hoping for a Mustang. I drove the car from Denver to Rapid City to Sioux Falls to Minneapolis and put about

1100 miles on the car. I was surprised by the size of the car (I have an Elantra '05 hatch) it seemed much bigger then I thought it was. I drove 98% of the time on the highway with the cruise control set between 70-80 mph and the AC on, by the time I turned the car in the trip computer said I was getting 40MPG. My only complaint about the car was the control for the sunroof, I prefer separate switches for tilt and open as opposed to the one switch in the Sonata (I kept getting the feeling it wasn't closed properly). If I had known the Sonata was this roomy and got such good gas mileage I would have bought one instead of the Elantra.
Reply to
Smee

Something is wrong with that trip computer. No way a Sonata got 40 MPG running at those speeds.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

An Elantra won't do it either and I doubt that an Accent could.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Agreed. I could at least possibly believe though than an Accent could do it. It is just not possible with a Sonata.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

The trip computer is obviously wrong.

The best you can expect at those speeds is ~25mpg.

It's unusual for the trip tech to be that far off. Mine usually agrees with actual miles/gallons within less than 1mpg. Most other Sonata owners are reporting it's very accurate on the highway.

Reply to
Bob Adkins

The trip computer has 2 data points that begin with Avg MP.... are you sure you weren't looking at the Average MP(H)our reading instead of the MP(G)allon page? I took mine on a trip to Atlanta this week and according to the computer, I averaged 26.5 MPG and 35MPH for the trip with probably 70% freeway and 30% city/county roads. I could easily see your average being

40MPH or better with a higher percentage/duration of freeway time.

Just a thought anyway.

Reply to
KW

Yeah I am sure it is something like that. 40 MPG & you won't be able to find any Sonatas at dealers! ;)

Reply to
Vineeth