Trunk stuck on '06 Sonata

A buddy of mine has a 2006 Sonata that suddenly developed a problem with the trunk latch, it will not open with either the key or the remote. What happens is you can hear the latch operate and the
trunk pops up barely enough to feel it move, then it won't budge. The rear seatbacks can't be folded down either because the security switch (located in the trunk!) has those locked up as well. In addition, the trunk warning light on the dash stays lit all the time. We could not get anywhere with this thing, so he took the car to the dealer (it's still under warranty).
The car was there all day but it seems they have not been able to figure out a way to get into the trunk to work on the latch. So it looks like they need to keep it a while. In the meantime I'm loaning my friend one of my old non-computer, non-remote-access AMC vehicles that he loves to poke fun at. (Never had this kind of problem with them in decades of driving!)
Any Hyundai mechanics reading this group that maybe have seen this problem or maybe have some ideas?
--
Roger Blake
(Change "invalid" to "com" for email. Google Groups killfiled due to spam.)

100% guaranteed to work solutions. Pick one. A. Sawzall B. Local criminal recently charged with burglary C. Chop shop
I don't understand the seat latches. I did not think they were tied in with anything to lock them. I check on hmaservice.com and did not see much about trunk lids or rear seats. The do show hot to change the actuator, but they assume the trunk is open.

We could not get those seatbacks to budge despite much tugging and cursing. So we finally dug out the owner's manual and it shows a security latch -- inside the trunk, of course -- that determines whether the seatbacks can be opened or not. Apparently the car was delivered with the seatback function disabled. (My friend says he has never tried to open them before.)
Maybe the rear seats can be removed to get into the trunk? If not it may well come down to the dealer having to drill or cut a hole to get to the trunk latch, very messy indeed...
--
Roger Blake
(Change "invalid" to "com" for email. Google Groups killfiled due to spam.)
Well, the dealer managed to get the trunk open. (Maybe they used a bigger hammer!)
It turns out that something inside the trunk got caught in the latch and damaged it. Not a warranty item but not too horribly expensive from what I'm told. I told my friend to also make sure that the security latch for the rear seatbacks is released so they can be opened in case this happens again!!
--
Roger Blake
(Change "invalid" to "com" for email. Google Groups killfiled due to spam.)
On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 10:57:36 +0000 (UTC), Roger Blake

May be something just on the 06. My '07 and -'10 say nothing about it and I've not seen anything about security. It would save you from valet parking attendants playing in the trunk, but eliminating it saves 75 a car.

Might well have been a one-year thing, I'm not all that familiar with these cars. It sure was a PITA in this case.
I took a look at the car when he got it back, everything works OK now including the seatbacks opening up. The only remaining issue is that apparently the plastic panel in the trunk lid that covers the wiring was broken along with the latch and that was not replaced, in fact it was removed. (Price of a new plastic panel would have been $108! Sounds like a piece begging to be found in a junkyard instead for a few bucks, though it would have to be from a car wrecked from the front or side...)
--
Roger Blake
(Change "invalid" to "com" for email. Google Groups killfiled due to spam.)
Just what this group needs most - occasional sarcasm.
BY the way, don't forget the universal "WONDER-BAR!"
solutions. Pick one. A. Sawzall B. Local criminal recently charged with burglary C. Chop shop