Turn Signals: Didn't Work, Now OK. (04 Elantra GT)

Here's the background, while driving last week my turn signals stopped working. The dashboard indicators showed that they were not working, and a visual inspection outside the vehicle confirmed it. Midway through the trip, I checked the fuse. The fuse had not blown. I swapped it with another fuse of the same type (I think it was for the fog lights). The signals still did not function. I continued on my trip - reaching my destination about 250 miles away.

After letting the car sit for about 90 minutes, I hopped back in to continue my trip. At that point, my turn signals worked again. The turn signals continued to work for the rest of the weekend, another 350 miles or so, and are still working.

What happened? Should I take this in to the dealership? What should I suggest that they look for?

Reply to
mark.wolven

I'd guess it's probably the hazard switch. The top two causes are the flasher relay and the hazard switch, but I don't recall seeing an intermittent problem with the relay. The hazard switches tend to be less reliable in cold weather when they begin to fail.

As to whether your dealer will do anything, it's hard to say. Hyundai's been taking a pretty hard line against "guess" repairs lately. I had one case where if everything the customer was telling us was true, there was only one possible cause of the problem, and they still wouldn't let me repair without duplicating the problem. Call your local dealer and ask them. You'll get an idea pretty quickly, methinks.

Reply to
hyundaitech