type of Oil

Unless you live in the artic, I wouldn't use 5-20w oil period. I've run all 3 of my Hyundai's on 10-30 for the summer and 5-30 for the winter. Never had a problem. BTW, looking at a Accent for my son who passed his drivers test yesterday.
Joel Willstein
Subject: 2006 Sonata Oil Date: Saturday, December 03, 2005 7:51 AM
I had my first oil change yesterday at the dealer. It's an '06 Sonata GLS V6. My owners manual clearly states that I should be using 5w-20 oil for this engine, but my receipt shows they put in 10w-30. Should I be worried about this?
I would think that especially for the Winter season, the thinner oil (5w- 20) would be better.
Thanks. Eric
I live in NJ...hardly the artic!! But since this is my sixth Hyundai, and the first that recommends 5w-20 oil year-round for my climate, I would have to disagree. Especially where the warranty is concerned.
Eric

Eric G. wrote:

Exactly! Hyundai knows better what the engine needs than any of us do. Following their recommendations is the smart thing to do. Joel may not want to evolve in his thinking about oil, but both engines and oils HAVE evolved and modern engines have different requirements than engines that are only a few years old.
FWIW, I've been running 5W-30 - per Hyundai's recommendation - in my Elantra since it was new. It runs great year round.
Joel Willstein wrote:

This has been argued to death in Honda and Ford owner circles. Your conventional wisdom has basically been demonstrated to be little more than outdated opinion with no basis in fact.
5W-20 oils perform very well in the vehicles for which they are specified.
Lots of data and arguments about this at www.bobistheoilguy.com forums.
John
what better person to believe than the manufacturer. put what they say in it. you diddnt design the car did you?

Joel Willstein wrote:

Have you had a Hyundai that called for 5W-20?
Matt