Unexpected alarm

Today I went into my chiropractor's office for about twenty minutes. I did not lock the car. When I came out I opened the door and the horn started beeping. This happened once before. What would cause this? The temperature was below zero F. Would this be a factor?

---MIKE---

>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire >> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Reply to
---MIKE---

New Hampshire

Not sure why this would have occurred. Typically the alarm will not arm if the doors are not locked or the hood is not shut. What year and model vehicle is this?

Reply to
hyundaitech

Hyundaitech asked,

2008 Elantra.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

New Hampshire

I don't recall the specifics, but this is new enough that it may be possible to program the BCM to allow alternate ways of arming the alarm such as key lock and lock button. I'd still think the doors should be locked, though.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Sometimes I only leave the car for a couple of minutes such as getting trash out of the trunk at the dump. It makes no sense to lock the door then.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

New Hampshire

I meant that if the alarm was armed, it's odd that the doors weren't locked, not that you intended to lock them. Under normal circumstances, the alarm won't arm unless the doors are locked.

Reply to
hyundaitech