Used to have very high rpms on a cold morning start . Not anymore.

I have a 2002 Santa Fe V6 auto trans. Living in northern illinois, its sometimes hits -10 f to -20 f . first thing in the morning. The Santa Fe used to immediately go up to 1900 rpms upon startup, and very gradually reduce after it started to get warmed up. IM aware that i need higher rpms when cold, but, it always bothered me having the engine scream to 1900 rpms when very frigid out and not recieving adequate lubrication in time. So, i took it back to the Hyundai Dealer i bought it from and they said :" They range anywhere between 1600 and 2000 rpms, so, yours is normal" . They indicated no adjustment to the cold idle could be done. So...not willing to take no for an answer...i asked my normal car mechanic what controlled the cold idle rpms on the car. He took the device off the engine that was held on by two screws and a push in connector and showed me . Cant remember what he called it, but, he tried cleaning it with solvent and put it back on. Still didnt make any difference. So, i had him explain its operation to me. IN short, it bleeds some vaccuum air thru two ports within this device as a rotating drum either partially covers or partially exposes the two ports in response to a trickle of electricity coming thru the wire harness .

So, for kicks when i got it back home, i took it off and placed some thick aluminum foil tape i had completely over the two ports then punched smaller holes into the aluminum foil tape to simulate 'smaller' port openings. Put it back on the engine , and, wullah ! Now she goes to 1200-1400 rpms when cold which seems alot more sensible than 1900 or higher rpms. It didnt affect the driveability at all either.

I didnt tell you this story to pat myself on the back. Rather, to express my dissappointment with my Hyundai Service Dept. for not knowing (or wanting) to solve the matter. Surely they must know how to remedy this...but i reckon thier hands are tied to what Hyundai calls 'normal design' .

Reply to
dave

Your service department told you there was nothing wrong with your vehicle because there was indeed nothing wrong with it. The fact you don't like it doesn't mean it's a problem that needs to be corrected. The device you restricted controls your idle at all times. It's entirely possible that what you've done may prevent your vehicle from idling properly.

Regardless, if you're happier with it, then that's a good thing for you.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
Jody

It would violate the warranty only if the modifications caused a failure. For example if the foil caused his check engine lamp to come on or if a piece came loose and got caught in the idle valve or something and damaged it, then that wouldn't be covered by his warranty.

Anything obviously not caused by his modification would still be covered (e.g. leaking water pump).

Reply to
hyundaitech

'Your service department told you there was nothing wrong with your vehicle because there was indeed nothing wrong with it. The fact you don't like it doesn't mean it's a problem that needs to be corrected.'

ME: Do u as a hyundai tech think an immediate 2000 rpms when starting in -20 f . temps . is satisfactory ? Would you want your fairly new car doing that ? Ive proven by my own modification, that, the car can sustain far less rpms and not have it affect driveability or the check engine light from coming on.

'The device you restricted controls your idle at all times. It's entirely possible that what you've done may prevent your vehicle from idling properly.'

ME: I know the device does that ; when its cold it idles at 1200 rpms When its warm it idles at 900 rpms. Im happy with that. It idles properly with no sputtering, hesitation, or any other adversity. IN fact, im getting 1 mpg more in fuel economy...making it now 20 mpg city driving.

'Regardless, if you're happier with it, then that's a good thing for you.'

ME: Im not only happier...im delighted . And im sure wear and tear on the motor will be lessened especially in sub zero outdoor temps.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Who in the f*ck gives a crap what you drive, you uneducated fundy piece of fundy shit

FOAD dave

Reply to
vesscher

'Who in the f*ck gives a crap what you drive, '

ME: Well, the people in this Hyundai newsgroup do , cause : I drive a Hyundai !

'you uneducated fundy piece of fundy shit '

ME: You dont need any education to know that there has to be a Creator Why be a Pretender all your life by not willing to admit there is a Creator (so you can live as you wish by placing yourself on the throne) ?

'FOAD dave'

ME: That will be my retirement package , which is : 'Out of this world'

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Dave blurts out: "cause : I drive a Hyundai !"

Well that just goes to prove you're a bigger idiot that just being a lying uneducated fundy hypocrite who believes in the tooth fairy, santa claus, the easter bunny and other imaginary non-existent beings

Reply to
Flakey714

I have no problem with 2k rpm at very cold temps. In fact, I expect it. With the proper oil and oil filter, lubrication shouldn't be an issue. There are a number of reasons your car does this. One is that it helps keep the car running. Another is that it helps the car warm up more quickly and switch into closed loop operation more quickly.

I'm glad you're happy, but doubt you will have made any significant difference in engine wear. Happy motoring.

Reply to
hyundaitech

'I have no problem with 2k rpm at very cold temps. In fact, I expect it. With the proper oil and oil filter, lubrication shouldn't be an issue. There are a number of reasons your car does this. One is that it helps keep the car running. Another is that it helps the car warm up more quickly and switch into closed loop operation more quickly. I'm glad you're happy, but doubt you will have made any significant difference in engine wear. Happy motoring.'

REPLY: Thanks for your replies, and thoughts. I appreciate it. Dave

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

faster the engine heats the better for the cat converter and the engine, (cars shoot out allot of hydrocarbons when cold) you not racing the car at

2000 rpms with a load on the engine in gear, I read even Volvo xc 90 revs high for 1st while to speed engine warm up. obviously its no harm to any engine if even Volvo's do it and there from the great north =)
Reply to
Jody

You guys have me in stitches. I even giggle before I open a post because sometimes I can guess what it's going to say. : I've stopped Dave-bashing for the time being - well sorta, as you do such an excellent job Ken; and really great to read too....ooo....oooo....fight it- fight it. I can't resist it...........:-

Fuck off dave!

Reply to
Dr Hal0nfireS

Hee hee hee

Lorna ask's (from the other room).."What are those Evil Snickers emanating from Ken's area all about?"

Reply to
Flakey714