Variant on Headlight Question

I have an '02 Elantra.
I have learned that the O.E.M. headlights on Hyundais and Kias will not last all that long, usually less than two years (no problems with other bulbs to
date other than the low beam headlights).
When one of the Elantra's headlights burned out (again) some months back, I replaced them with the "brighter" bulbs, because their performance was weak at night - I think they were the GE brand.
Indeed, the performance improved markedly, and having driven my other vehicle right in front of the Elantra a few times at night, did not feel that the "blindness" factor for oncoming cars was much different than with ordinary headlights.
But now the first of those has burned out after only a few months. Is this what I can expect from some "after-market" headlights? And considering they are not one of the "9000" capsules, but rather are the H7, which is far less common, is there a source where I can get these bulbs in at least a decent brightness, which will last longer than a few months??
Or did I just pick up the wrong package of bulbs at the store???
Tom Wenndt
Rev. Tom Wenndt wrote:

It seems to be par for the course. My old Excel used to eat bulbs and my Elantra does too. I cured the Excel problem by installing PIAA bulbs, which lasted for several years and were still good when I took them out before selling the car. I just installed a pair in the Elantra, so we'll see if I get the same performance. PIAA bulbs are much brighter and whiter than the stock bulbs, but they're expensive. They were $59.99 on Ebay ("buy it now" price) with free shipping from Rte9parts.
Brian Nystrom;14831 Wrote: > Rev. Tom Wenndt wrote:

> not last

> considering they

> far less

That seems to be about the average, depending on the brand of bulb. I just installed SilverStar H7's when one of my Eurolights burned out after approximately two years of use. I run with my low beams on day or night so for the average driver they probably would have lasted longer.
You may have gotten a bad bulb. It happened to me with a "new" pack of Eurolites a few years ago. One bulb burned out after only a few months. The dealer replaced the pair with new ones and I ended up getting nearly two years of day and night use from that pair. If the bulbs get any oil or contamination on the glass it can shorten the life.
A word of warning. Buy only name-brand bulbs and stay away from those cheap "no-name" bulbs being sold on eBay. I bought one pair several years ago and they were the worst piece of crap I've ever seen. They fell apart after they shorted out and melted my headlight connectors. Another cheap pair I bought exploded in the headlamp housing after a year of use.
--
MidnightGray
my 03 Elantra has had one hi/low burn out now have 33000 miles on it and the headlights stay on when the engine is on. I replaced it with regular light bulb...have bought high power headlights for my 06 Sonata but haven't installed them yet. stock lights on it seem VERY bright but got a bargain on the H-7's