vibration between 65-75 mph during acceleration

Okay, I have a 2001 Hyundai Accent and just had the alignment and balancing completed after the garage said that would fix the problem. This has been an on-going problem since mile 80,000 and it's still here at mile 102,000. Here's what's going on, as I accelerate all is good until speeds around 65-75 then it will shimmy something fierce the harder I push down on the accelerator. If I'm below or above and accelerating I have no problems. Also if I let off the gas around 80 and let it coast down there's no vibration. The dealer was not helpful with this at all. Any input appreciated, as my warranty is now null and void, so time for me to play and stop paying $75/hr. Thanks in advance....mike

Reply to
mike

This is going to be difficult to diagnose without having a good driveability technician personally experience the condition.

To be sure I understand correctly: The shimmy occurs at 65-75 MPH and only if accelerating at those speeds-- if you hold steady or are decelerating, the shimmy does not occur?

Also, I'd be interested in knowing whether it occurs more frequently up hills or down hills (or hills have no effect).

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
Jody

Reply to
Jody

okay it's definitely worse going uphill but occurs both uphill and downhill, i should have stated that holding steady at those speeds also produces the shimmy although not as bad. decelerating there is no problem, and it appears that my front left tire is wearing more quickly on the inside though I just noticed this today since I typically rotate my tires every oil change due to the amount of driving i do.

Reply to
mike

Reply to
Jody

Reply to
Jody

shop said toe was out, again the car is a 2001 hyundai accent

Reply to
mike

You'll probably need to have the steering/suspension checked, a front end alignment, and new tires installed.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Go to a garage that can balance the tires while they are still attached to the car. This should cure your problem.

Reply to
eastwardbound2003