Warranty Exclusions

I have bought Hyundai for over 10 years, I liked the 5 year warranty. However, there are exclusions I was not aware of (my fault) and I think it is time to move on to another brand.

The other day, my son took his Elantra in because of a water leak. The car is an '03 and still under the 5 year warranty. They found a hole in the drain tube on the sunroof. I had to pay the labor and they patched the hole. If it leaks again I was told by the dealer I will need an assembly for over $400. Called Hyundai, yep, water leaks are only covered for one year. The warranty is too selective. I contacted some other automotive companies. For example, VW would cover such leak for their full four year warranty.

Just beware of the exclusions in the warranty. Don't think you are covered unless it is in black and white.

Reply to
Bob Babskie

Big deal. VW quality is pretty poor these days and if you think Hyundai repairs are expensive, wait until you see what VW parts and service cost!

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

How much more will you pay for a VW comparable to a Hyundai? I'm not selling Hyundai, but it is amazing how many people will be penny-wise and pound-foolish and pay $5K more for a car upfront to save a $400 repair 4 years down the road. Heck, if you invested the $5K you save up front, you will have well over $400 in interest after 4 years...

Food for thought.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Matt Whiting wrote in news:2Rudj.1270$2n4.29332 @news1.epix.net:

Whoah...I'm not saying I would buy a WV, just contrasting the warranty coverage. Will do more research with other automobiles. I just think a water leak due to a factory defect should be covered by the five year warranty. I don't understand why this is an exclusion, unless it is a game to save money on warranty costs.

I always felt Hyundai's five year warranty was a great selling point, now I'm not so sure.

Regards, Bob

Reply to
Bob Babskie

The dealer could cover this (if they wanted) without raising an eyebrow on Hyundais part. So let's say your sunroof drain tube has a hole in it. That's covered becuase of your 5/60 bumper-to-bumper warranty, even if there is no leak. Check your warranty again. Even though it says water leaks are not covered, it does not exempt the sunroof drain tube from coverage as it does components like the radio and "wearable" items. A decent factory rep or a decent dealer would have this covered with no issues.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

All car maker's warranties have similar exclusions and different parts have different coverage. It is a very rare car that covers EVERYTHING for 5 years or more.

Your son's 03 is nearly 5 years old, so how do you know this was a factory defect? Did the mechanic say that? Could the hole have occurred from some cause after the car left the factory? I can't believe that if the hole was there since day one it took nearly 5 years for water to start leaking through it.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

would

I believe Hyundaitech is right in his analysis. It's not Hyundai's warranty but the Dealer's interpretation and lack of initiative to care for the customer that led to this result.

Thank you Hyundaitech.

Regards, Bob

Reply to
Bob Babskie

Hyundai does not realize how many customers are being driven away by their poor responses to their warranty. I will not buy Hyundai again because of their arbitrary choice on a warranty repair.

Over the years, I have had several cars repaired under warranty and the worst service yet was from Hyundai. And I do not think it is the dealers but Hyundai America who is directing the repairs.

Reply to
southluke

My experience has been exactly the opposite. I found Hyundai very easy to deal with and very responsive to consumer complaints. Luckily for me, my local dealer is very reputable and helpful as well. Although I'm always leery of car dealers, these guys have been 100% honest with me over the years and I frequently recommend them to friends. It seems to me that most of the complaints here and elsewhere can be traced to unscrupulous dealers, rather than to Hyundai.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Reply to
razz

FWIW, there seems to be a considerable difference between Hyundai Canada and Hyundai America. I've heard similar complaints from other Canadians.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom