warranty question

Why does Hyundai tout this wonderful bumper to bumper warranty and not cover a simple thing like wiper blades?

--
Richard

They are covered for 12 months. They are also a wear item. Hyundai has no control over the use or mis-use of wiper blades. If you leave the wipers turned on when you park in the freezing rain, they can be damaged. If you use roads subjected to a lot of sanding and salting, they wear much faster. If you never clean your windshield, they wear faster, if you run them dry they wear faster. No car maker will assume liability for stupid drivers, nor should they.
In no case will a blade last 100k miles anyway so to cover them just adds to the cost of the car. I'd rather buy a few sets along the way for $1o instead of paying $150 more for the vehicle.
Richard wrote:

My understanding is that they do for 12/12,000. I didn't know about the 12,000 mile limit and waited until 14,000 and it was too late. I should have had them replaced before 12,000. I was surprised that a wear item like wiper blades was covered at all so I didn't even think about it until hyundaitech mentioned here that they were covered.
Matt
Wow!! They cover wiper blades. I would never thought that, next you'll say they cover light bulbs also.

My understanding is they are covering everything for 12/12000

You've got to be kidding...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I don't believe anything a salesman ever tells me anywhere, as far as I'm concerned, they are just an order-taker like the guy behind the counter at taco bell.

I don't know if I would go that far. I will say that I myself do a TON of homework on everything regarding a car before I go to a dealer to look for one. Usually, I end up being better informed than the salesman is. But if I'm not (and I know that quickly), that is someone I want to buy a car from.
And by the way, when they know how well armed I am with information, they don't mess around with me. One or two salesmen have walked away from me over the years when I countered some of their curious claims (none from Kia, IIRC).
That is what makes forums like this so useful. If I go buy a Sonata, or whatever, tomorrow, I will have a lot more information just from this site than most who go buy a car will.
Tom Wenndt
"Paradox" said: "I don't believe anything a salesman ever tells me anywhere, as far as I'm concerned, they are just an order-taker like the guy behind the counter at Taco Bell."......
Damn your tuff, I imagine my salesman told me the same. Not once did wiper blades ever cross my mind as being covered. It's like oil, I assume it is a wear item I am responsible for and don't expect the dealership to cover oil in the "bumper to bumper".

In my case, the salesman told me Hyundai is covering things that are normally not covered in the interest of good will. I've not had the opportunity to try it though as the car is still perfect at 7100 miles.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Wipers are covered explicity in the warranty paperwork, they aren't a good will item.
Matt
If people would take time to read the warrenty that comes with each and every new car they would know this little stuff even if nobody tells them !!! I live in Las Vegas were it gets extremely hot in the summer and drys out the rubber on the blades, it very seldome IF EVER rains in the summer here but I have had my wiper blades changed 3 times in the past year and ALL were covered under the 12/12 warrenty.
']['unez

Basic Warranty: The basic warranty covers everything except items that are subject to wear and tear or replacement in the ordinary course of vehicle ownership, such as oil and air filters, wiper blades and brake pads. Tires and batteries are often excluded, but usually have their own warranty provided by the manufacturers of those items. Emissions equipment is required by Federal law to be covered for five years or 50,000 miles.