weird 06 Sonata

I started my LX last night, backed out of the driveway and noticed the "ESC Off" light was on. I noticed the "CEL" was on too. The ESC switch had no effect on the light. I pulled out onto the hiway and had NO acceleration. I noticed the engine would shift at 2000 rpm and topped out at 2000. (about 60 mph) It took over 1/2 mile to reach 60 mph. Is there a "safe mode" on this car. I arrived at my destination and upon leaving the "ESC Off" light and switch were functioning normal. I eased the pedal to the floor and started to smoke the tires. The car ran great again. The CEL was still on but it went off after a few cycles. Engine ran good the entire time. Maybe a computer glitch? Any thoughts?

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Rob,

My wife had the exact same thing happen about in our 06 LX about 3 months ago. She brought is back home, I got in it and the CEL came on, but no other symptoms exhibited. After 4-5 more start cycles, the light went off and nothing has happened since. We live about 90 miles from the closest dealership so it was a few days before I could have it checked out and by that time the light was off and the tech didn't find any code issues, nor had they heard about any similar instances with other 3.3L owners.

YMMV

KW

Reply to
KW

Sounds like the computer saw a problem when you initially started it. Because of the electronic throttle, some issues will put you in a limited power mode as a limp-home. You should take it in and have it checked.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks... but I've played that game with this dealership before. (with a

4cyl Mazda) They put the car on the computer told me it showed nothing and charged me $80 because they can't charge Mazda for warranty service when the diagnostics shows nothing. At 30,000 the car had a misfire that even the dealership could feel. They wanted to do a full tune up for some ungodly amount ($600 or so) to SEE if that fixed it. I bought plugs and wires ($12 & $80) and installed them. Car ran great then. I think I'll wait until CEL stays on.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

It'd be my advice to stop using that dealership. If they're the only Hyundai game in town, my condolences. That sort of treatment would stop me from purchasing products which I'd need to have serviced by them.

Reply to
hyundaitech