wet brakes

Every time it rains my rear brakes seem to make a grinding/ screatching noise, I had then replaced with in the last 9 months, and they just passed PA inspection. Is this normal? If not what could be causing it? They are functioning fine, its just this sound when it rains

Reply to
illusion123a

The stock rotors rust really quickly. After it rains, or even after a really humid period, the surface will rust and it gets scraped off the first time you apply the brakes, making the grinding noise you're hearing. If you still hear it after the first stop or two, you may have a more serious problem.

You don't state what car you have, but the Elantras with rear disks are known for premature pad wear. Usually, rear pads in a car are good for

100K mile or so, but I had to replace mine at 45K. The pads fit the caliper so tightly that they had to be driven out with a hammer and punch! When I installed the new ones, I files the ears on the backing plates to get a proper fit. Hopefully, that will take care of the problem.
Reply to
Brian Nystrom

its a 2002 hyundai accent

Reply to
illusion123a

The most frequent issue with drum brakes is that the moisture gets into the brake dust that's in the drum. As long as your brakes don't grab, there's no hazard in ignoring it. If the noise bothers you enough, you can pull the drums and clean out the dust with brake cleaner solvent.

Reply to
hyundaitech