What do you think of inflating tires with nitrogen?

Page 1 of 3
As the topic said... what do you guys think about that?
Shaman

We think it's been around a while. Why do you ask?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

You have to go to a special tire place to get it, but you can save time by just tossing a few $10 bills down the gutter.
In theory I can see where the larger nitrogen molecule would be better than the smaller oxygen molecule, but since air is mostly nitrogen anyway, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay a premium to get ride of hte other 20%.

Shaman
I recently read that nitrogen contains much moisture than air, which better preserves the interior of the tire. I'm only passing on what I've read; I don't know how accurate this statement is.

Fantine wrote:

Since you admit to not knowing what you are writing, why write it?
Matt
Um, because it's a DISCUSSION board? Sorry to force you to waste your time with idiots.

Fantine wrote:

Yes, DISCUSSION, not GOSSIP.
Matt

Do you have proof it's gossip? Where are your sources and attribs? :D -
Bob
Shaman wrote:

I think it is a waste of money and nitrogen. And my tires already have nearly 80% nitrogen and that is enough for me!
Matt
Hello Shaman,
S> As the topic said... what do you guys think about that? Check this web page -- http://www.getnitrogen.org/why/index.php
Regards, Wayne Moses Houston, Texas

Interesting, but have you actually experienced such situations? Have you ever had a tire go bad from the inside from oxidation? I've gotten as much as 70k miles from tires, but they were still OK inside, the tread was, as expected, worn.
Moisture? Never seemed to be a problem either. They state that compressing the air concentrates the humidity. True, but most is left behind in the compressor tank and drained out.
Explosions? Ever had a tire explode in flames? They state nitrogen reduces the possibility, but while that is true, how many car started on fire from exploding tires?
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Hello Edwin,

EP> Interesting, but have you actually experienced such situations? EP> Have you ever had a tire go bad from the inside from oxidation? EP> I've gotten as much as 70k miles from tires, but they were still OK EP> inside, the tread was, as expected, worn. EP> EP> Moisture? Never seemed to be a problem either. They state that EP> compressing the air concentrates the humidity. True, but most is EP> left behind in the compressor tank and drained out. EP> EP> Explosions? Ever had a tire explode in flames? They state nitrogen EP> reduces the possibility, but while that is true, how many car EP> started on fire from exploding tires? Good points, Ed. I just provided the link. :-)
I have heard Pat Goss (Goss' Garage segment on Motorweek on PBS) recommend nitrogen in tires, and I respect his opinion as a master mechanic.
Regards, Wayne Moses Houston, Texas
Wayne Moses wrote:

People on TV recommend a lot of things that aren't necessary. The advantages of nitrogen for passenger car and light truck use simply doesn't outweigh the costs in both money and energy. It takes energy to extract 96% pure nitrogen from air. This is simply energy that doesn't need to be wasted for this application.
Matt

I pretty much do too, but sometimes they are being subsidized by some of the products mentioned on the DIY shows. This Old House is a perfect example. One company ( a customer of ours) offered to give them product to build a house, value about $15,000. They said yes, if you also give us $18,000 cash. .
Pat Goss's recommendations are paid for by the manufacturer of the product. Take a closer listen to the show. You'll see it's quite a bit about selling product and not so much about answering questions.
Wayne Moses wrote:

Yes, there are places where N2 use is warranted such as aircraft and heavy equipment where extremes of temperature are encountered, but for normal passenger car tires this is simply addressing problems that aren't a factor. Check your air pressure once a month (which you should do even with N2 as leaks can develop other than through diffusion) and you have nothing to worry about.
Matt
Shaman wrote:

It's just another scam designed to part fools from their money. At least you had the smarts to ask before you fell for it.

warehouse provided it to me for ...free!
Same for flat tire repairs, and for rotation.
just asked the question, as I wanted to know if all the sayings about Nitrogen was true.
Shaman
Shaman wrote:

Nothing is free. You just didn't pay for it explicitly. :-)
I think most of what is said about Nitrogen is true, it just isn't terribly relevant for passenger car use. It certainly won't hurt anything, but it isn't going to change much.
Although, I had to laugh as after reading this thread I heard an advertisement on the radio today from a tire dealer advertising 99.7% pure nitrogen for your tires for something like $10 a tire. The hilarious part is that they claimed that this could save you up to $134/year! I don't see how these people can rip people off and outright like like this and still sleep at night.
Matt