What do you think of inflating tires with nitrogen?

Page 2 of 3
Hello Shaman,
S> de S>

S> Well.. I do have Nitrogen in my tires, but my local Coscto Wholesale S> warehouse provided it to me for ...free! I guess you had to be a members and buy the tires there, right?
Regards, Wayne Moses Houston, Texas

Sure I am a member, but did'nt never ever bought a single tire there. The clerk told me it's a "service" they offer to ALL their members. So, as Matt said, it's not "free" because I pais my member card. But it's free, because I didn't pay for this specific service.
Shaman
Hello Shaman,
S> Sure I am a member, but did'nt never ever bought a single tire there. S> The clerk told me it's a "service" they offer to ALL their members. Excellent. I will enquire the next time I am there. On this Nitrogen business, if it is costing me nothing extra then I am ahead because I don't believe that it is any worse than air, and if anything it is better. Even if it costs me a little extra but keeps the tires are the right pressure longer then that is worth it also, since my time is money.
S> So, as Matt said, it's not "free" because I pais my member card. But S> it's free, because I didn't pay for this specific service. If you want to split hairs, it may not be free depending on how much you shop at Costco, but if you shop at Costco often you have already paid off your membership card fee so it is free.
Regards, Wayne Moses Houston, Texas

The guy at Costco told me that Nitrogen is better than air because it keeps the tires more "cold" so the high temperature in the tire won't effect the pressure. With air, hihg temperature = hihg pressure, wich is bad for the tire, and gas mileage.
For the Costco thing, the Costco store is at 5 minutes from my place, so I shop there every weeks.
Shaman
Hello Shaman,
S> For the Costco thing, the Costco store is at 5 minutes from my place, S> so I shop there every weeks. Same here. May go there today, even.
Regards, Wayne Moses Houston, Texas

Wow, you can't make this stuff up! And I bet he even has a high school diploma.

Regardless the diploma he has, I think this is just right. And if not... why bother? I did'nt even pay for that service
Shaman

You think what is right? High pressure is bad for gas mileage? It usually improves. Or that nitrogen has cooling effects? It may not expand as much as oxygen, but it is not going to act as a coolant to keep the tires more "cold". Higher pressure may or may not be bad for the tire, depending on actual pressure and speed traveled.
I'd take if for free too, but I'd still not believe the un-natural acts of physics he is speaking.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Ed's right. You really should educate yourself regarding things automotive, as there's no telling when this guy or some other moron could give you some really bad, even potentially dangerous advice. I can't think of a single industry that's more full of myths, BS, outright lies and thievery than the automotive service industry.
To set the record straight Nitrogen has less moisture than the air we breathe. When a tire heats up it expands. The less moisture in a tire the less expansion. Tire expansion or overinflated tires MAY increase fuel economy (by decreasing rolling resistance) slightly... BUT as a tire expands the contact patch (rubber on the road) decreases causing your traction, handling, and ride comfort to diminish. An over-inflated tire is also more prone to puncture or to damage (ie when you run over a pot hole, etc). The guy from Costco just didn't quite have his facts straight... but he is headed in the right direction, and we know that it is NEVER possible that someone could have their facts straight but the person listening to the sales pitch was the dummy that couldn't accurately recall or didn't understand the concept........ no this is not possible........
Oz wrote:

You can't say this with certainty. It all depends on the source of the nitrogen and the source of the air. I was in Las Vegas a couple of years ago and the RH was 3%. Depending on the source of nitrogen and how it was processed, it may or may not have as much moisture content as air depending on where your air is from.
Matt
Oz wrote:

Before you go accusing others of not knowing what they're talking about, you should get your own facts straight. You've GROSSLY exaggerated the effects of moisture in the air in a tire. The truth is that from a practical matter, it simply doesn't make any difference. If you want the truth, go to the following link:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/070216.html
Putting nitrogen in car tires won't hurt anything, but it's not going to make any performance difference over the life of a typical car tire either, especially if you check your tire pressures once in a while. If you can get if free anytime you want, great, but if you have to pay for it or go out of your way to get it, you're wasting your time and money.
The guy at Costco is still an idiot.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, that is even more scary to think of...
Matt
Shaman wrote:

Wow, it just keeps getting more ridiculous all of the time. However, I guess if you buy tires at a store like Costco, then you are pretty gullible to start with and will believe most anything.
Matt

Who said that I bought my tires there? I never bought tires at Costco, the little shop where I go always have unbeatable prices on tires. Anyway, I had it for free (Nitrogen inflated tires), so where is the problem?
Shaman
Shaman wrote:

There is no problem with the nitrogen in your tires; the problem is that you readily accepted a line of complete BS as to why nitrogen is "better". I'm not trying to rag on you or anything, but you really need to educate yourself or at least do some research before some idiot or slimebag screws you over. You got lucky this time.

reasonably cheaper than anywhere else. I'll be getting my next set there, Michelin Energy MX4's. On the other hand, I don't buy into that nitrogen story either.
razz wrote:

It isn't the tires, it is the installation. Most places like Costco, Wally World, etc., don't properly torque the tires and often don't get them balanced all that well. I use a tire store that advertises that they use a torque wrench to properly torque the lug nuts and they do as I've watched them to be sure.
Matt

Costco does the same thing. 80 lbs on my 2006 Sonata V6 when they rotate the wheels.
Shaman

A rarity (and a keeper). Most tire jockeys have no idea what a torque wrench is.