What do you think of inflating tires with nitrogen?

"Matt Whiting" a écrit dans le message de news:

9zQWh.4274$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net...

Costco does the same thing. 80 lbs on my 2006 Sonata V6 when they rotate the wheels.

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

And what if I didn't even bought my tires there? My tires doesn't come from Costco, and they charged me a big 0$ So the price of their tires doesn't affect me. I never bought tires from them, and I think never will.

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

"Matt Whiting" a écrit dans le message de news:

0EQWh.4275$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net...

Right

Maybe should go back to school to study me physics, as you said...

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

A rarity (and a keeper). Most tire jockeys have no idea what a torque wrench is.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:e8SWh.11936$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

I have to agree here with Edwin. At least in my area, you can't find a shop that doesn't use an impact wrench to put the lugs back on. And I am talking all the way from the "best" tire store, right down to Costco. The last time I had tires done for me (I usually do them myself at work now if the auto shop guy gives me permission) I had to demand a torque wrench be used. I think they only agreed because the prior visit to them resulted in two broken studs on one of my Elantra's. One of the mechanics had to drive across the street to Sears to BUY a torque wrench. Can you believe they didn't even HAVE one! The even funnier thing is that I went with a friend recently to Sam's Club (like Costco) and while I was waiting for him to shop, I was watching the tire installation department....they were actually using a torque wrench...go figure.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Sad, but true. I rotate my own tires partially so that I can ensure they are torqued correctly. The other reason is that it gives me a good chance to inspect the brakes, suspension, etc., when I have the car off the ground and the wheels off.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Well, I have going on eight years of college, six of that in engineering. What is your experience with physics? I'd like to see your explanation as to why you think adding air won't increase the nitrogen fraction if the oxygen is continually leaking out.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I've been a tire engineer for 15 years. N2 won't hurt anything but I wouldn't pay an exrta dime for it. If you go that route you still need to check your tire pressures regularly. In theory, N2 does permeate a tire's innerliner slightly more slowly than normal air, but if you pick up a nail or are leaking at the rim or valve it won't help a bit. Checking your tire pressure is also your best chance to notice irregular treadwear patterns before it's too late and to spot any potentially dangerous tire damage (like a bulge) before your tire falls apart at 70 MPH.

N2 is not drier than dry air. Any decent tire shop you go to will be using dry air (to protect their air tools if nothing else).

Getnitrogen is a sales group for nitrogen, it shouldn't surprize anyone that they support its use.

Reply to
pmkeating

Pat Goss's recommendations are paid for by the manufacturer of the product. Take a closer listen to the show. You'll see it's quite a bit about selling product and not so much about answering questions.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"One of the mechanics had to drive across the street to Sears to BUY a torque wrench."

ROFL!

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Oh, I wasn't laughing at the time, but it is hillarious now. How does someone call themself an auto mechanic and not even own a torque wrench!!?? I have 3 of them myself and wouldn't even call myself a mechanic. Although I pretty much do swing wrenches all day at work, but it sure isn't on automobiles. If I didn't use a torque wrench, I would void the warranty on most of the equipment here at work. And believe me, when I have to call a manufacturer for service, that is usually the first thing the tech will check.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

That obviously isn't a true statement. A mechanic would already own a torque wrench. The person who went to buy the wrench was not a mechanic.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Why not Carbon Dioxide? What's it's molecular size, and how does it behave with regard to volume / temperature? According to Michelin's web site, Air, Nitrogen, and Carbon Dioxide are allowed for inflation purposes.

Reply to
Bob

Ed's right. You really should educate yourself regarding things automotive, as there's no telling when this guy or some other moron could give you some really bad, even potentially dangerous advice. I can't think of a single industry that's more full of myths, BS, outright lies and thievery than the automotive service industry.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

There is no problem with the nitrogen in your tires; the problem is that you readily accepted a line of complete BS as to why nitrogen is "better". I'm not trying to rag on you or anything, but you really need to educate yourself or at least do some research before some idiot or slimebag screws you over. You got lucky this time.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

How do you torque a tire?

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

There you go! If we all inflated our tires with CO2, we could prevent climate change! ;-)

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

To set the record straight Nitrogen has less moisture than the air we breathe. When a tire heats up it expands. The less moisture in a tire the less expansion. Tire expansion or overinflated tires MAY increase fuel economy (by decreasing rolling resistance) slightly... BUT as a tire expands the contact patch (rubber on the road) decreases causing your traction, handling, and ride comfort to diminish. An over-inflated tire is also more prone to puncture or to damage (ie when you run over a pot hole, etc). The guy from Costco just didn't quite have his facts straight... but he is headed in the right direction, and we know that it is NEVER possible that someone could have their facts straight but the person listening to the sales pitch was the dummy that couldn't accurately recall or didn't understand the concept........ no this is not possible........

Reply to
Oz

You can't say this with certainty. It all depends on the source of the nitrogen and the source of the air. I was in Las Vegas a couple of years ago and the RH was 3%. Depending on the source of nitrogen and how it was processed, it may or may not have as much moisture content as air depending on where your air is from.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Before you go accusing others of not knowing what they're talking about, you should get your own facts straight. You've GROSSLY exaggerated the effects of moisture in the air in a tire. The truth is that from a practical matter, it simply doesn't make any difference. If you want the truth, go to the following link:

Putting nitrogen in car tires won't hurt anything, but it's not going to make any performance difference over the life of a typical car tire either, especially if you check your tire pressures once in a while. If you can get if free anytime you want, great, but if you have to pay for it or go out of your way to get it, you're wasting your time and money.

The guy at Costco is still an idiot.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom