What is a transmission service for a 2001 Accent AT?

I was surprised that the owner manual for my 2001 Accent AT suggests a ATF change only at 168000km for normal conditions. The dealership inspected the fluid at 90000km and no service was needed.

Now at 125000km, I am thinking about the transmission service but the dealer charges $160. ATF capacity for my car is 6.7 liters according to specs. My parts list for a transmission service will be 5 liters SP3 oil, filter, drain plug washer and silicone gasket. This is needed to clean the oil pan, replace filter and ATF.

Is there anything else in a transmission service?

Reply to
accent

You should probably use a paper gasket. Other than that, you're on target. For a do-it-yourselfer, a transmission service is relatively inexpensive, even considering the SPIII fluid. It cannot hurt to change it too soon, but waiting too long can be very costly.

I've been changing the transmission fluid and filter in my 1992 Taurus every 15k since I replaced the transmission. Hopefully, the car will last long enough for me to see whether this gets me any more than the seemingly normal 70k miles out of the transmission.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I have part number 4528522010 for the pan gasket but the dealer parts dept suggested a silicone gasket maker. I will have to go back and see if it is the stock part.

There is also a filter bracket. Is it standard to replace this part as well?

Reply to
accent

I don't know of any filter bracket in an accent. In fact, you should be able to purchase a gasket and filter kit from the dealer.

Reply to
hyundaitech