What to do?

Page 1 of 2
I have an '03 Elantra that I bought used in '08. It had 30k miles on it an d I am the second owner. No complaints whatsoever. 146K on it now. I had
a minor accident with it where I slid into a guardrail. It damaged the fro nt right fender, headlight, popped the tire and some damage to the front bu mper.
Anyway, I am in the market for a newer car so I went back to dealer to look around. (I wasn't expecting that they would take it in trade) They had a t ech look at my car and they told me it was burning oil. I change the oil r egularly and never really "use" any oil between changes. I've never notice d burning oil. They said possibly something happened in the accident.
I'm wondering now if I should bother repairing the damage and hang on to it for a while longer. It runs good and I've never had any major mechanical trouble with it. Just basic upkeep/wear and tear stuff.
The estimate for the damage was $2k. What do you think?
Thanks
tonita wrote:

Not enough info. Why do you want a new car? Why do "they" say it burns oil? What could have happened in the accident to cause oil burning? How often did you change oil?
I was thinking about getting a newer car because I'm retired now and have t he money to buy one. I'm thinking if I don't do it now, I won't be able to further down the road. I'm 63 now and it will probably be the last car fo r me. I'm making big life changes.
I changed the oil every 3000 miles.
They couldn't really say for sure why it was burning oil and I can't imagin e why a minor accident would cause it to. It was low speed impact into a m etal guard rail on an icy road.
On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 7:20:21 PM UTC-4, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

On 6/14/2015 7:41 PM, tonita wrote:

Burning oil sounds like an excuse to lower the trade in value.
I'm not so sure I'd spent $2000 to repair the car. Check out the trade in value at KBB.com to see what it may be worth. If the dealer give you anything close to that number minus the $2k, grab it.
BTW, I'll be 70 in a couple of months and plan to buy two more cars in my life. One will probably be this year.
tonita wrote:

My opinion: 3k mile oil change is great and there is nothing wrong with the engine. 2003 and 146k miles is getting up there but the drive train should easily go to 200k miles. According to Edmunds, the trade in value is $1,300 to $2,000 for a clean car. With $2k repairs it would not be worth fixing unless you did it yourself. More likely this car will go to Mexico as is. I am older than you. My 06 Spectra will likely go to the grave with me.
On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 1:41:45 PM UTC-10, tonita wrote:

to further down the road. I'm 63 now and it will probably be the last car for me. I'm making big life changes.
Sounds like you deserve a new car! :-)

metal guard rail on an icy road.

On 6/14/2015 1:41 PM, tonita wrote:

I was looking at a friend's 97 Jaguar XK8 convertible last night. He just put replaced the water pump. He did the work himself and got the part online for only $40. The car was sitting in a guy's yard for a while. My friend bought the car for $3500. A pretty good paint job cost a little under $3000 and he did some work on the wheels and exhaust and had the top dyed. There was only 30,000 miles on the thing and the engine sounded great. He blipped the throttle and it gave a wonderful mechanical turbine whine. Most amazing! He spent $10,000 so far and boy, the car is something else. I think he's one lucky guy!

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 13:25:25 -0700 (PDT), tonita

I would repair the damage. If after that you still would like to replace the car, you will have more sale options with the damage repaired.
On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 13:25:25 -0700 (PDT), tonita

Based on your age and all the circumstances you describe....I'd say it's time to get a new one. My first Hyundai was an 03 Elantra GT, great car, never once had an issue with it. Also bought my wife and 05, then an 07 for me and gave the 03 to my son. My son had it for awhile, ended up with about 125K and had an accident and we decided it wasn't worth fixing. In September 2014 I bought a new Elantra GT and bought my wife a new Accent Hatchback. Both cars have been great and I am very happy since I started buying Hyundais. Just came back for a 1K mile trip with the GT and it was great, I also got 36.5 MPH and was quite happy with that. Love the car. PS: My son now has the 05 and will probably keep it a long time, it's his second car (but he needs one living in rural area) he also has a RAV4. Good luck....buy a new one! $2K is too much at this point.
On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 10:25:26 AM UTC-10, tonita wrote:

d a minor accident with it where I slid into a guardrail. It damaged the f ront right fender, headlight, popped the tire and some damage to the front bumper.

tech look at my car and they told me it was burning oil. I change the oil regularly and never really "use" any oil between changes. I've never noti ced burning oil. They said possibly something happened in the accident.

l trouble with it. Just basic upkeep/wear and tear stuff.

Sounds like a scam to me. They're being vague about the problem because the y think you're the type to not ask any questions or they don't know what th e problem is or they're interested in getting you into a new car. It's time to ask questions - be wary if they're vague or evasive.
I'd just drive the thing and keep track of the oil burning. If you're leavi ng a smoke screen behind you wherever you may roam, get rid of the car. If the car has been damaged in the accident and is dripping oil, it probably w ouldn't cost much to repair that problem. If it puts out a puff of smoke wh en you start it and you really aren't losing much oil between changes I'd l ive with it. OTOH, if you're going to feel bad about driving that car, get rid of it.
Thank you all so much for the great responses. A lot to ponder. I got a s econd estimate on the damage today and it was $1300. I am so leaning towar d getting it repaired, maybe detailing in and out, having the belts done ag ain and new tires all around. This oil thing is really bugging me though. This car doesn't make a sound when running. I had the oil changed recently , drove to New Hampshire (from CT) and back and when they told me about the oil, I checked it and it was still full and clean.
On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 4:25:26 PM UTC-4, tonita wrote:

d a minor accident with it where I slid into a guardrail. It damaged the f ront right fender, headlight, popped the tire and some damage to the front bumper.

tech look at my car and they told me it was burning oil. I change the oil regularly and never really "use" any oil between changes. I've never noti ced burning oil. They said possibly something happened in the accident.

l trouble with it. Just basic upkeep/wear and tear stuff.

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 17:32:26 -0700 (PDT), tonita

When all is done, you'll have about $2000 invested and a car that is probably worth about that. At that point you can decide if the car is still adequate for your needs or if you really want a new car just because you want one. You can probably sell it and at least break even. Given the age and miles, you will probably have some repairs, but that is normal
I guess it depends on how you look at things. Keep present car: It is paid for It gets me to where I want to go
Buy new car Has more features. Everything it tight Has warranty I look good driving it.
On 6/16/2015 5:52 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

the car isn't going to explode in ten minutes. If the car can get to and fro from New Hampshire, then keep driving it until it dies. A second hand 12 year old car is not worth putting $1300 for looks only.
It's running. Maybe get a new wheel and tire. Drive it into the ground. Then get a "new"(read newer) car.
Dan
On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 18:02:43 -0400, Daniel Carlow

Makes me skeptical of the oil leak.
tonita wrote:

Oil usage is relative. My 06 Spectra uses 1/2 quart of Wal-Mart full syn between every 5,000 mile oil change. It would be ok even if it used one quart every 5k miles. There won't be any smoke as long as the CAT is working.
Time for it's second cam belt and water pump change though.
It sounds like you want to keep the car. A well maintained car is a happy car. Belts and tires are normal. A new car will need them in a few years. Your car should go antoehr 50k without major repairs except possibly the transmission. If it goes then its time to junk the car. OTH, a new car will likely be safer due to more safety stuff, and it will get better mileage.
When I travel more than about 100 miles I rent a car because my car is the only one I have. If it breaks then I am out of a car. If the rental breaks they give me a new one.
On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 11:52:50 PM UTC-4, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

t I didn't do it. It's still working. I'm having the belts done Tuesday a nd I'm sure they're going to tell me again and they'll probably find a doze n other things it needs too. I hate that.

On 6/17/2015 8:33 PM, tonita wrote:

I'd definitely replace the pump this time. It could go next week and the labor cost will be the same. That would piss you off.
tonita wrote:

Maintenance items. If I had to bet, I'd bet that the pump shaft seal will start leaking in the next 50k miles. That and the pump insides are likely rotted out.
On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 17:33:48 -0700 (PDT), tonita

I agree to change the pump now.
On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 2:33:49 PM UTC-10, tonita wrote:

and I'm sure they're going to tell me again and they'll probably find a do zen other things it needs too. I hate that.

Sounds like you got totally diverted from your original problem by the deal er. Those guys are slick!