What to do?

Page 2 of 2
On 6/14/2015 4:25 PM, tonita wrote:

I would think that the idea of repairing the car probably did not make sense. In Excellent condition (which doesn't sound like your car) the Kelly Blue Book value is only about 2500. If you say the car is running good I would just keep an eye on your oil level and keep driving it. If, however, you want to get something new(er) you would definitely not recoup the $2000 assuming you were trading it in - yes they would accept it as a trade maybe even for 500-1000 they would be glad to tell you. Also, if you were considering a new Hyundai you would be covered by the excellent warranty and also, depending on the model, might get something for being a previous Hyundai owner. Just my 2 cents.
In typed:

My vote is, fix the headlight if you haven't already done that. Skip the body repairs. Ignore the claim that it is burning oil and forget about that so-called issue.
Then, either keep driving the car for now; or, if you feel like getting a new one, sell your car as-is on CraigsList. Even with the body damage, there are people who want a running car in that age and price range -- approx 2003 and approx $1,800 to $2,000.
In my State (New Jersey), the way that car inspections now work is that they ONLY do State inspections for emissions. And, once the car has a valid inspection sticker on it, that sticker is good until the expiration date on the sticker -- such as January, 2016 or whatever -- even when a new owner buys the car. So, a big selling feature for a used car in my State (New Jersey) is that if the car has a good inspection sticker that goes into the future, the new owner does not have to worry about it passing inspection until after the existing inspection sticker expires. Most likely, your State doe snot have the same rules, but check to be sure since it could make a difference if you decide to sell your car and get a new one.

Same here is CT.
When I lived in PA, they did the so called safety inspections twice a year. What a scam it was. I know they changed it to once a year when they started doing emission, but that may have changed.
Inspections was a money maker for the shops that did it. Some passed anything, others told you that you needed front end work even it you did not. Others had a gimmick. One shop I went to with three cars all needed a headlight adjustment. That was OK since the car had other expensive problems that were passed over for the quick buck.
In wrote:

Interesting. The OP wrote about driving to New Hampshire, "from CT", so maybe that means it is a CT registered and inspected vehicle.
On Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 5:07:25 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:

Yes, it is registered in CT. We used to have to have safety inspections on cars older than 10 years but no more. We only have to do emissions testing yearly.
In

That's what we do here in New Jersey, except that the emissions inspections are every 2 years on the vehicle itself, regardless of any vehicle ownership changes.
So, if my vehicle passes inspection today (which is just emissions testing), then I get an inspection sticker that is good on thta vehicle until June of 2017.
If I sell the vehicle, the new owner is buying a vehicle with a valid inspection sticker that is good until June of 2017. That makes it easier to sell the vehicle because the new owner doesn't have to worry about the vehicle passing inspection simply because it has a new owner.
So, I had the belts and water pump done today and of course there are a couple of other major things going on. Leaking (not very badly) head gasket, two blown struts in the back and cv axle is torn. Costly problems.
On 6/23/2015 5:48 PM, tonita wrote:

"I was thinking about getting a newer car because I'm retired now and have the money to buy one. I'm thinking if I don't do it now, I won't be able to further down the road. I'm 63 now and it will probably be the last car for me. I'm making big life changes."
Good money after bad. Follow through. Get something in much better shape.
On 6/23/2015 5:48 PM, tonita wrote:

Given the other problems, I'd have said good bye to it. Where do you stop?
In typed:

I agree. Sell it or trade it in. My vote would be to just sell it via Craigslist and/or a For Sale sign on the vehicle with the price. And, I would tell the truth to the buyer about what you had done on it, what they said is still needed, etc. That way, you would be selling it with a clear conscience.