Whats the fastest youve been in your Hyundai ???

Page 1 of 2
While im not advocating wreckless driving, I thought it would interesting to hear your experiences ; if you choose to answer, please state :
1. Which Hyundai car/suv you own.
2. The fastest you got it up to temporarily . 3. How stable was it in your opinion.
I have a 2002 SantaFe , temporarily reached 105 mph then backed down , and it felt quite stable with not as much wind noise as i had expected.

I don't usually drive very fast, however I have an '07 Hyundai Elantra that I've had up to an indicated 90 mph. It felt relatively at ease at that speed although I've noticed just a tad bit of oversteer at times over about 60 or so.
A.

07 Sonata Limited with 17" wheels 110 Very stable. I was amazed at how solid it was. If it was legal to drive at that speed, I'd have maintained it or gone higher with confidence.

I have had my 2006 Santa Fe up to 100 mph, not bad handling is a bit soft, My Elantra I had wide open at 110 mph, and it handled great, drove it for extended periods just under the mph clip
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Dave in Lake Villa) wrote in

1. 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 2. A GPS verified 135 MPH (indicated was about 138 on the speedo) 3. Extremely stable for a street vehicle. It seems that at about 100 MPH or so this car really hunkers down to the road, although I can't really explain why. The brakes are extremely good until about 120 MPH, which I believe is the limit of safe use. At they work, but just barely.
Eric

That should have been "above that speed they work, but just barely.".
Eric

Just don't tap them if you are on cruise control at that speed :)

LO F'IN L
Eric
I've had my 2002 Sante Fe in the low 120s. Very stable on a straightaway. Not sure I'd want to take too many turns like that.
I've had my 2006 Sonata at the low 130s. Again, very stable feeling but still going very straight; no turns.
Kiran

1. 2005 Coupe 2. 110mph a few times (traffic permitting) 3. Nice and stable. Some wind noise. Brakes work well.
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 16:54:12 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Dave in Lake Villa) wrote:

I used to own a Mitsubish Precis, the equivalent of the Hyundai car that Rodney King was busted for driving at excessive speed in L.A., his beating by the cops was videotaped and resulted in riots.
Anyway the Precis was a dog, poor acceleration and a cop pulled me over for going at 80, actually we were doing a sedate 65, but fast car had passed us and I think this was caught on the radar.
After a little lecture and contrition we were allowed on our way.
My 2001 Elantra holds the road at 85 with no problem.

02 Sonata, 130MPH.
- Thee Chicago Wolf
On Jun 11, 4:54 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Dave in Lake Villa) wrote:

'99 Elantra 5spd at just over 100 mph developed a little shimmy that backed me down. Engine sounded a little unhappy. It goes all day at 80/85 without a whimper though.
L.

Doh, one more time.
1. 02 Sonata GLS. 2. 130 (110 with the OEMs) 3. Very stable but had performance tires not OEM.
- Thee Chicago Wolf
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 16:54:12 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Dave in Lake Villa) wrote:

2005 Elantra 120 mph very stable, no float, rock solid. I caught hell about posting this info some months ago, but on a trip from Dallas to Ohio I followed a guy for over 300 miles. It was in the middle of the week about 3:00 am and not another vehicle in sight going through Arkansas. Slowest we went was 90 mph and most of the time it was about 110 mph. Got it up to 120 now and then when the guy in front got to fare ahead.
(Dave in

You lunatic :-)
Eric
Have a friend with a 1999 Viper that went 140 mph . No thanks .
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Dave in Lake Villa) wrote in

What was that third gear???
Eric
Have a friend with a 1999 Viper that went 140 mph . No thanks .
'What was that third gear??? Eric'
REPLY: He says he sometimes comes out of 2nd gear at 90 mph ... so he might have still been in 3rd at 140 but it would have been close to redline. Ive been trying to get him to race me on this fairly deserted 4 lane Highway from a stop ; not with my SantaFe (ha...) , but with my built up 1970 Corvette big block , 540 h.p. 4 speed, 370 rearend . I know id take him up to about 90 mph.
2003 Elantra 110 MPH stable 2006 sonata V6 120 MPH stable but I did get a ticket last year in my elantra for doing 87 in a 65!! and a gal in a Z24 passed me at 92 and she got stopped too!! Can't imagine what would have cost me in the Sonata...