Wheels/Snow Tires

Page 3 of 3

The edge of it. Hastings/Parish. I generalize about the area in posts like this because it does represent the typical driving conditions we encounter during the winter. I probably receive somewhat less snow than Redfield in any given storm, but we are not that far off seasonally. I spend alot of time on the road within the Tug Hill area though. The entire Hill averages closer to 300" than 200" most years. The last few sure have not been that heavy though. I know that we do get a lot more than Fulton gets in any given snowfall. It's funny how it goes (as you probably know) - it's like there is a wall where all of a sudden the snow starts and it's like you entered another zone on the planet.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Mike Marlow wrote:

WV last year with my factory supplied Michelin's on my 2003 Elantra. It was a joke, cars going by me left and right while my son and I were attempting to push my wife up the hills and bouncing and sitting on the hood. There was only about 2 inches of snow. Tried everything out of desperation, riding on the edge trying to get traction from the rocks, in the grass, clearing a path with my feet, even tried the traction control which did not help because of the rapid changes caused too much erratic changes causing more problems. A few times the front end would drift too far and slide off the road but we never actually left the road completely. We finally gave up and sat around until and a resort employee on his way to work pulled me with a tow strap the last 3 miles to the resort with his Samuri (4x4 with all season tires oddly enough). Being stuck out in the middle of absolutely nowhere is not a good feeling. I still had at least 4/32 of tread left with about 35k miles on those tires but ruined them tires from the constant spinning (chewed up from at least an hour of trying). The previous year I made it around with no problems where I live but I only have small rolling hills here. I've had one of my 5.0 Mustangs in the snow a few times for one reason or another. It was a joke and the AS tires are just a very small part of that problem. Obviously your luck was much better then mine but I'll keep the chains in my trunk from now on.

You would not believe the mountains of snow that I have plowed with nothing more than good ASR's on my truck. Of course, it's 4WD, but then again, it's pushing a lot more load than any passenger car simply driving down the road. I generally keep M&S tires on it but I have used simple ASR's in the past.

I'm surprised you chewed off any amount of tread in that experience. With that little traction - thus little coeffiecient of friction, I would not expect you to wear off tread.
For me the big thing is the tread design. I look for big sipes and channeling outward. Some might call it an aggressive tread. I stay completely away from touring tires and the more contemporary tread designs typical of today's low profile tires.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
nolife wrote:

Luck has little to do with it. While 1/8" of tread is still legal in most states, it certainly isn't adequate in snow. And that has nothing to do with the type of tire. No tire will give decent snow traction with that little tread remaining.
I run my tires down to 2/32" generally, but only if that occurs during the summer. I just replaced the tires on my minivan and they had a little more than 2/32" left, but it was getting too close to winter to risk running them longer.
Matt
snipped-for-privacy@gisco.net wrote:

There's no problem at all.

I bought mine through a local tire dealer. He did have some trouble locating them (over two years ago), but they're available. FWIW, I went with Nokian Hakkapelitta 2 tires, size 185/65-15 and have been very happy with them. You could also go with size 175/70-15 for a little better bite through the deep stuff.

They really suck in the winter compared to real snows, even when they're new. I think you'll be very happy with the performance of your snow tires.