Where's the Hybrids!

Page 1 of 3
With gas going to $3 a gal for 97 octane, I want over 40 mpg not 23 on average city/shy combined with the Santa Fe. Tucsons are but fleet service only, so lets get building for the regular repeat purchaser!!!!

yuup hyundais draggin there ass on the hybrid thing for northamerica. id love a diesel, even more so a hybrid diesel =)

| yuup hyundais draggin there ass on the hybrid thing for northamerica. | id love a diesel, even more so a hybrid diesel =)
Diesel = cough, choke: particulates. Stink. On the other hand, there's something called "clean diesel." I don't know how really clean it is. Gas is, of course, more refined, so inherantly cleaner-burning. Good idea.
Richard
diesels ive seen rarely smoke or stink, the tdi's

Jody wrote:

I've seen diesels that didn't smoke, but they all stink.
Stinking is in the nose of the beholder...

Boy do they stink & majority of them have black smoke out the tailpipe.
Diesel fuel is $.30 more a gallon than 98 Octane!
diesel may cost more, but its goes alot farther per tank than a gas car... ive never seen a vw tdi yet belch black smoke..

Jody wrote:

If you actually sit down and do the math, figuring the increased cost of the car and fuel vs. the improved mileage, you'll probably find that it will take you in excess of 10 years to actually save any money.
yes over time, but if im just leasing like we intend to do its not so bad.. the jetta doesnt cost any more than a loaded sonata so.... if hyundai would bring their damn cdi's to canada theyed kick vws butt

Jody wrote:

Leasing is the most expensive way to "own" a car. It ranks right up there with buying and trading in every 2-3 years. Essentially, you're paying for the cost of the car's depreciation during the years when it depreciates the most. The reason that car companies push leasing is because that's where they make the most money. While leasing makes sense for businesses, it rarely makes economic sense for an individual.
Nothing personal, but it seems a bit odd to me to quibble over a few bucks in fuel costs when you're throwing away thousands of dollars due to your choice of ownership method.
If you're truly interested in saving money, the best way is to buy a car that's 2-3 years old and keep it until it's worn out. Second best is to buy a new car and keep it until it's worn out. By "worn out", I mean that the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the vehicle. With reasonable maintenance, that can easily be ten years and 150,000 miles or more.
I'm generalizing here and perhaps you're in a special situation that creates a different need. There are some good books available that explain this in greater detail and help you decide what ownership method makes the most sense for your situation, and how to negotiate the best deal. The "classic" text on the subject is Remar Sutton's book, "Don't get Taken Every Time". The few bucks you spend on the book will save you thousands.
your right i guess =) but i like to have new car, something weve never had

Jyea car that has only been drivin off the lot and had title transfered is only worth about 75% of what was paid for the vehicle for years ive been buyin a $200 junker cavalier ... driving it for a good couple years ( average about 100k in those 2 years) with only changing the oil about 4 times in the process total cost of ownership == 150 a year ... now how much is that lease payment of yours oh and i forgot to mention ... after the couple of years ... i get 100 back on the car from the scrap yard .. so thats hmmm about 100 bucks a year
i dont get to drive a nice looking vehicle .. but it costs less than the tax on your new vehicle and still gets me from point A to point B
ody wrote:

Jody wrote:

I actually bought my first new car since 1984 last year, but only because the Elantra GT had a rebate that was ~equivalent to the first year or so of depreciation. I figured it was nearly the same as buying a used car, only without the "use". I plan on keeping it until it dies, as I have with my other vehicles.
are you my dentist???? my dentist has identical name =) talar svenska?

our accents still pretty good though its paint is showing our wiinters wrath, it NEVER uses any oil ive never topped it up since we owned it. we have 136 000 kms now on it. i have to bring in next week for new tie rod end and cv boots to local fjord dealer

Jody wrote:

No, but I thought about going to dental school many years ago and I may be as painful to deal with. ;-)

Unfortunately no.
<<If you actually sit down and do the math, figuring the increased cost of the car and fuel vs. the improved mileage, you'll probably find that it
will take you in excess of 10 years to actually save any money.>>
Be sure to do *all* the math - a diesel will be cheaper to service, and may not need service as often. My own vehicle gets very poor gas mileage, but nevertheless, the servicing costs almost as much per year as the gas does.
John Cowart
MY friend just got a 2005 Priuis and it is a kewl car... 50 MPG is possible in the city. Plenty of room, nice radio, comfortable ride. Plus he get a 2K tax break from the feds this year for buying a hybrid.
It's a kewl car!
ElantraStan http://www.stanarseneaux.com/elantra /
snipped-for-privacy@hirise.com

"The Commander" wrote:

toyota prius: $20k MSRP, 55mpg. hyundai accent: $10k MSRP, 30mpg. current price per gallon: ~$2 miles before prius pays for its hefty premium: 328,258
Is your friend actually planning on keeping the car for that many miles?