Where's the Hybrids!

Page 3 of 3
Yeah, just make all cars 10 or 15% more efficient and we can stop going around the world attacking other countries for their oil.
Don

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:19:27 -0700, "Don" <dbitzerATcomcastDOTnet> wrote:

What you said is not at all true. We have not attacked any country for oil.
Oh excuse me, it was for WMD's (snicker).
The fact is though that we really need to develop this sort of technology to become more energy independant. That is why I responded to this, and I applaud any company that goes in this direction. We have a 2003 Sante Fe which we love but I'm in the market now for a second car which will probably be a Toyota Prius. I hope Hyundai will develop similar cars ...and I would consider them as I am very impressed with Hyundai quality.
But unfortunately, this does all tie in with politics. China and India (1/3 of the world population) are rapidly developing. Their energy needs are going to skyrocket soon. Oil prices will do the same. The more energy independant we are, the better.
Don

oil
we
What a joke HONDA has. They advertise a hybrid but it get 29 mpg???? As the salesman attempted to explain their pantented hybrid technology he stated the gas engine is ALWAYS RUNNING!
Our deaership manager still states the MG is due out in a few months to replace the Accent, then the hybrid Tucson will follow for 2006. Santa Fe will not be hybrid.
A friend has had a Toyota Prius for about 6 months. He keeps pretty meticulous records and uses it on the job, so he puts a lot of miles on it. He says he's been getting about 52 mpg. His last trip was to go skiing so there was considerable climbing too.
Don

id love one those hybrid things, but a , to $$$ and i dont think thyed be too good in our winters when its like - 30 f. cold kills batteries =( "Don" <dbitzerATcomcastDOTnet> wrote in message

The friend with the Prius is in Boston ...pretty chilly there.
Don

Good post! Seamus J. Wilson "Don" <dbitzerATcomcastDOTnet> wrote in message

One thing that people lose sight of in all this hybrid craze is that whether buying a hybrid is a good idea from an economic standpoint or not depends on your current automotive situation. If you definitely need a new car - because your current car is worn out or you need an additional vehicle - buying a hybrid makes sense. However, if you have a functioning car that gets reasonable gas mileage and has a few years of life left in it, getting rid of it and buying a hybrid is unlikely to save you any money, due to the high cost of the initial purchase. If you're the type of person who regularly turns their cars over every few years, you're used to wasting money so you may as well go for it. ;-)
thats your look / view what ever u call it i guess =) i just dont like paying for unexpected car repairs id rather have new every 5 yrs

Jody wrote:

It's not mine at all, it's simply what I've learned from experts in the field who know much more about it than I do.

So in order to avoid paying for repairs that may never happen, you're paying more for your cars up front, EVERY time, by getting rid of them while they still have a lot of life left?
Please don't take this personally, as I don't intend it that way. I didn't realize this either until I read the book I referred to in the other post above (many years ago) and some other materials that corroborated it. Although it's possible that you may avoid a costly repair once in a while, on balance, it's much more expensive to turn your cars over prematurely. The fact that you're hanging onto them for 5 years rather than 2 or 3 mitigates that somewhat, but it's still not the most economical way to own, especially considering the durability of modern vehicles. Please don't take my word for it; check it out for yourself. There are a lot of good references on the subject.
im not taking it personally and im aware about the mony part, thats why i looking at new accent (low payments)