whine sound when pressing accelerator--Elantra 02

Hi all,

I had so much luck with my last question (about the rearview window rattle) that I'm going to go for broke and try to get an answer to another question :)

In my '02 Elantra VE, when I step on the gas, I'm starting to hear a strange sound, like a belt grinding "whine" or "squeal". It is only apparent when I am accelerating, giving the car gas. In fact, the harder and more quickly I try to accelerate, the more pronounced the sound is.

When the car reaches speed, the noise goes away.

I'm sure it's something simple, but I know next to nothing about cars, except to bring them in for regular tune-ups and services :) FYI the car has about 150,000 km on it.

Thanks for any help y'all can provide!

Cheers, Dave

Reply to
canadave

It's difficult to give a good opinion without hearing the noise, but insufficient belt tension has a reasonable chance of being the cause. To prevent noise, the alternator belt usually needs to be tightened so that there's nearly no deflection on light to moderate pressure. The power steering and A/C belts should have a little deflection.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks, I'll give that a shot!

Reply to
canadave

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote in news:1183128630.203244.146000 @n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

This happened to me - but I can't remember what the solution was.... I'd check the alternator and/or if the battery is ready to die....

Reply to
The Chris

Power steering pumps can "whine" and their noise would follow engine rpm. Does an Elantra have P.S. ?.....if so, you can check the pump's fluid level.

Reply to
Darby OGill