Why turn ESC off?

Page 2 of 2
Your Tiburon also hasn't undergone a redesign since the MY 2003 introduction.

2007 18:43:54) about "Re: Why turn ESC off?":
h> Your Tiburon also hasn't undergone a redesign since the MY 2003 h> introduction.
Point taken. Facelifts and subtle mechanical changes only.
Best Regards
hyundaitech wrote:

Are you saying that turning off ESC also disables the ABS? I find that hard to believe.
Matt
Mike Marlow is somewhat incorrect - you CAN add ESC to a car already with ABS for an additional $110, I am sure this is manufacturer dependent (e.g. check with your dealer). This past Sunday evening (4/8/07), 60 Minutes had a segment on ESC and the difference with and without this feature. Groups (which groups I do not remember) are pushing to have ALL vehicles to have this feature by 2012. 60 Minutes did not go into whether or not that $110 was parts only, or parts and labor. Fantine - I would do some research. I am somewhat suprised that your 07 Elantra doesn't have ESC equipped, I thought it was standard for ALL Hyundai models these days.

Please let us know the JC Whitney catalog or Pep Boys number for that plug-in part.
I believe that ESC is going to be standard for the 08 model (there's a empty slot on the lower left dash for it on my car), but I needed a car this year, unfortunately, otherwise I would have waited. The traction control on my old Saturn was a feature I valued. I will look into this issue. Thanks.

ABS is not disabled with the ESC off, however it will only work for braking. The ESC portion of the ABS system is deactivated.
Eric
It'll disable the stability and traction control.
Eric G. wrote:

ABS is only for braking so that is no surprise. The B in ABS is braking. :-)
Matt

I always wondered why it was called ESC. Doesn't that acronym stand for Electrocic Skid Control? So it is supposed to let you skid, but control it? I think it should be called ESPS - Electronic Skid Prevention System :-)
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

Stability, son, Stability Control.
Matt

Ah. Thanks Old Man.
Eric

Some people think that leaving ESC on all the time causes lower gas mileage by causing slight activation of the brakes when making turns. Probably an urban legend.

When the ESC activates, a light comes on in the instrument cluster. It does not activate unless needed so if it comes on every time you make a turn, you'd better change driving habits. How do these things get started?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

General ignorance of things technical.
Matt
James wrote:

Remove "probably" and you are completely correct! :-)
Matt