Will a 2.4L Sonata engine make it 150K miles?

I have a 2002 2.4L Sonata. I'm curious, if I change the oil per the manufacturer's recommendations, will the motors generally last for up to 150K miles?

Reply to
mweeks1

If properly maintained and not abused I'd say well over 300k, since others have actually made it with that engine in the past.

The 2.4L will likely outlast the 2.7L V6. The 2.4 has a nice solid cast iron block, the 2.7 100% aluminum. "Riceboys" claim the Tiburon's 2.7 (same engine) has some fairly 'hard limits' to deal with, supposedly the block starts flexing in non-friendly ways between 225-300 ft/lbs torque delivery. The block flex causes extremely high wear levels, causing either a loss of compression or something important to break on the spot.

That little bit of news killed my "Hmm, I think I'll hang a couple smallish turbos on my Santa Fe when it goes out of warranty" plans...

JS

Reply to
JS

Yes, I agree that 150K should be a piece of cake assuming good maintenance and barring one of those unusual failures that just happends now and again.

I've had very good luck with 4 cylinder engine durability. Several of the most durable engines I've owned (150K+ miles) were the 4 cylinder in the Chevy Chevette (an Opel design, I believe), the 4 cylinder Jeep 2.5L in the 1986 Comanche that I STILL use for hauling firewood, and the 2.5L Chrysler 5 cylinder in my Plymouth Acclaim. However, my least durable engine was also a 4 cylinder, the 1.8L engine in my 1984 Honda Accord didn't even make 80,000 miles.

However, I've also had a Chrysler V-6 3.3L that went to nearly 180,000 before the vehicle was totaled.

I don't think there is anything inherent in the cylinder configuration or number of cylinders that impacts durability. Reliability is, however, better with fewer cylinders as there are simply fewer parts to break and, part reliability being equal, fewer parts is always better.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Make certain you replace the timing belt at the specified interval (4 years/60k miles) on this engine. I have seen these belts fail shortly outside the interval (either by time or mileage) and have even done a few under warranty because they were still within the interval.

Reply to
hyundaitech

some of the cars in my family that lasted 150k miles......buick roadmaster, plymouth cambridge, chevy II, lincoln continental, ford maverick, ford ltd, lincoln versaille, plymouth scamp, dodge dart, amc ambassador, datsun 510, datsun b210, opel manta rally, vw rabbit, vw golf, chevy caprice, dodge ram, vw fox, toyota corolla, chevy sprint(suzuki), ford probe, buick regal.......really, 150k is a pretty low bar to set.

Reply to
Darby OGill

I agree that 150K miles is nothing these days..let's see, I had a 93 Honda Civic that went 297,000 and then broke the camshaft..it was getting soft and burning oil by then though so it was on the way out, I gave it away to a friend because I was sick of it after 9 years, it lives on with a new engine and is well over 500,000 now. I had a Nissan minivan( I forget the year) that I sold at around 200,000, an 86 Plymouth Turismo that went over

200,000, an old ford F350 diesel that I sold at around 250,000 , and so on. Currently we have a 2002 Accent with 150,000, a 2001 F150 with 170,000, and a Plymouth Sebring with ~150,000, all run just like new, with nothing ridiculous having been changed on any of them except a blown rear end on the F-150 at 75,000 , that annoyed me.

Oil changes are generally around 5000 miles for us, but I'm not a fanatic,

7000 happens too.

Yeah..my family drives too much, I know :-)

Reply to
Mikey S.

my 2001 elantra was at 132,000 mile when I traded her in for a Sanata Fe. it was still running like day 1 , getting 32+ miles to the gallon.

Reply to
Finn