Window Thing in 2000 Elantra

This is probably a very generic type of device, but the thing (the cable) that pulls my passenger window up and down broke... There were some plastic pieces in the bottom of the door, and the cable just gets all tangled.

I remember this being an overly-expensive repair...

My question - should I take it to the dealer (who screwed me with my transmission) or just take it to some place to fix it??

Thanks....

And, about how much will THIS fiasco cost me.

Reply to
The Chris

Last fall I helped my son replace the broken regulator (that's what that assembly is called) in his 95 Scoupe. The part cost around $80 Canadian. We've got the service manuals for his car but the same info is on the hmaservice site so the step-by-step on how to do it yourself is readily available. Basically it involves popping off the inner door panel, undo two bolts that hold the window to the regulator, lift the window out of the door, undo 4 bolts to remove the regulator and then reverse the process with the new regulator. I have no idea of how much you might get hosed to get it done but you can probably find a place to get it done for you if you don't feel confident in doing it yourself. Two days ago my son popped out the regulator on his passenger side so we could clean it and regrease the track so as to avoid the problem he had with the driver's side and he was able to do the whole job himself with no problems at all with very little experience of working on cars and it only took him about an hour from start to finish. So, you might want to call the dealer and just ask how much for the regulator and then call around to see what some place might charge you to install it.

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
lmcclaf

Window regulators are available from auto parts supply houses. Last time I looked, they were in the $125 range. You may want to ask at a local body shop as they take those things apart all the time so labor may be better there. Generally, dealers do well on that stuff but are amongst the higher priced.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not much if you get one from a junkyard.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Brian Nystrom wrote in news:BpPfi.1211$%w5.1161@trndny04:

The motor works.... It just looked like some plastic piece broke off... Has anybody just had it fixed, or replaced the little plastic part - as opposed to replacing a functioning motor??

Thanks.

I'm looking here...

Looks like each door has a different part!

The Chris

I'll take 2..........and be happy to pay you a finder's fee

L.

Reply to
Leonardo

You'll need to replace the regulator. There are two basic reasons you won't be able to repair the regulator:

  1. The piece that broke is the plastic upper holder of the regulator. It isn't available separately.
  2. The cable is tangled and damaged. You won't be able to repair the cable.
Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

You're right about that cable.... Jeez...that thing is a wreck..

Thanks for the advice..

Reply to
The Chris

Leonardo wrote in news:5radncGheol5d- LbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net:

I'll take 2 also - my wife's car has the same problem with the passenger rear door (yes, we have matching cars :)

Reply to
The Chris

I lost three in two cars over six months. (none were Hyundai) Since they are rear windows, I just propped them up with a piece of wood, never to open again. It would probably cost 25¢ to make them a little stronger.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

So - to a guy with moderate tool skills - is it a doable repair? I mean - I got the door panel off and see what broke...

Reply to
The Chris

Yes

The Chris wrote:

Reply to
jp103

Ditto on the yes.

Sliding the glass in and out at the right angle was my biggest challenge

L.

Reply to
Leonardo