Wiper problem

The wipers on my 2000 Accent act like something is holding them back, moving real slow. I moved the wiper arms now it seems like the linkage has broken. Any suggestions?

--Norm

Reply to
Budman

If the linkage was broken, they wouldn't move at all. If they're sluggish, a good possibility is that the bearings at the base of the wiper arms have gone dry and seized. This is common on many cars. Remove the arms and the seals and you'll be able to see if the bearings are turning or not. If they're not moving well and/or look a bit corroded, see if you can work some oil into them. Once they're lubed, they should be good for a few month to perhaps a year Depending on how often you use them.

I haven't examined an Accent wiper linkage, but my Excel's had ball and socket joints at both ends and one of the sockets had broken. This created a lot of play in the system. The symptom was that the wipers wouldn't always sweep their full stroke, but sometimes they would sweep past where they should have stopped.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

on my 99 the nut came loose a few times and the arms sstarted to slip. basic wrench job.

Reply to
nothermark

My mom has the same car and she had to get a whole new linkage set (this may not be the term) from the dealer b/c something was seized in the motor? It is very common problem w/ this model b/c the way the vents are, air/dust gets in there and dries up the lube (from what I read online). But it only comes as a set. It was about $100 CAD and us girlies "installed" it ourselves in about 10 min :)

Reply to
kendra

I lie, it was something coming out of the motor that moved the blade. Motor was fine, but it is only sold as a set by our dealer. If you open it all up I bet you'll see/hear the motor going and you'll even be able to manually get the thing moving.

Ours was all rusty and one of the bolts even broke when we were trying to undo it. They work great now.

Reply to
kendra

That's what junkyards...er...excuse me..."automotive recylers" are for. Pluck only the parts you need off a junker for peanuts.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom