Wipers

Hyundaitech (or anyone else that knows),
Are refills available from Hyundai for the Sonate wiper blades? I noticed that my local Wal-Mart stores no longer carry refiles. You have
to pay three times as much and buy a complete blade.
My original wiper blades are about shot after 8 months and I'm wondering what my options are.
Matt
Matt, have you called your local dealership's parts department?
That may be your best bet.
cableguy3 wrote:

Not yet as I have a hard time catching them open. They close at 5:00 and I get done work at 5:00. That is my plan when I get a chance, but I was curious what others had done.
Matt

I replaced mine about 2 months ago at the dealer!

Have you tried the auto parts stores Matt? I don't know what they have for refills anymore myself, because I went to winter wiper use years ago, and it seems that when I have to replace them it's either during the winter or just as winter is approaching so it always seems I'm buying them instead of the basic wiper or a refill.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

I've only checked one, Autozone, and they had only blades as well. Maybe the manufacturers don't sell refills alone anymore.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

It appears that most don't. IIRC, Trico still does, but you may have to buy their complete arms first, then the refills from then on.
You may have difficulty finding refills that fit the Hyundai blades anywhere except the dealer. Most aftermarket blades don't have interchangeable refills with the factory blades.
If you're under 12k miles, you should be able to get a new set of blades or refills under warranty. My guess is they'd just give you new blades because the inserts can be a PIA to install. Many dealers don't even stock the refills.
hyundaitech wrote:

No kidding? I never thought that a wear item like wipers might be covered.
Matt
1 year/12k miles. After that you're on your own.
hyundaitech wrote:

I appreciate the tip. I'll check with my dealer and see if they will honor that.
Matt

My dealer told me they would cover ANYTHING for 12 months as Hyundai wants to build good will and a good reputation with their customers. Unwritten warranty he said.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Actually, according to their web site, it is a written warranty.
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/global/warranty/warranty.aspx
You may have to expand the 5 year/60,000 mile section, but right at the bottom it mentions wear items and then wipers specifically just as hyundaitech said a day or two ago.
Matt

Dealership should be able to get them for you but they are available from a lot of auto-parts stores. Not sure who is out in your area but try Murrays, AutoZone, AutoPart Plus. I recently replaced my '02 Sonata wipers with a near pair for around $15.
- Thee Chicago Wolf

Oops, stike that. I did not get refills but rather the snap-in replacements. They're better than wasting time with refills. Trust me.
- Thee Chicago Wolf
Thee Chicago Wolf wrote:

I've used refills for 20 years until they recently became all but unavailable. It is just wasteful to fill landfills with blades that are in great shape other that a thin strip of rubber.
I thought I could get mine replaced under warranty, but I forgot about the 12,000 mile part of the 12/12,000 warranty. My Sonata has more than 13,000 already...
Matt

I had about a 60% success rate with refills. Too often they broke, did not fit well, or cause some form of aggravation when installing them. They should be easy enough to change and cheaper to buy.
Neither should the metal frames end up in landfills. Steel is easily recycled. Getting it there is the problem. Our town does not accept metal for recycling
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Likewise, I live in a location (very rural) where no recycling at all is supported. Everything goes into the back of the garbage truck and goes directly to a local landfill. That is one reason I prefer to waste as little as possible as I know that it likely will not be recycled, at lesat in the short term. Maybe some day it will be economical to dig up old landfills for the recyclables, but I don't think that day is in the near future.
Matt
...didn't know the refills were hard to find, but its almost time for winter blades anyway at my local!