Would you buy again ?

Page 1 of 3
Do you guys recommend buying a Hyundai ?

NO !

YES!
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 12:43:52 GMT, desgnr posted:

I would. This year we just bought our second one.

I would. They have really good customer service, and make decent cars. We're on our fourth hyundai. (We're a family of four)
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 07:44:04 -0600, Oleg Lego posted:

After reading some of the other responses, I remembered that my wife had two previous models. I don't remember the model of the first one, but the second was, I think, a Stellar. So, the Sonata we bought this year makes it the fourth one.

Yes. Excellent value for a great car. In my extended family we have 3 dating back to 2001. They've all been good vehicles.
Jon
Yes I would buy again, On my third Hyundai. First was in 1997 Elantra Now I have a 2006 Santa Fe. Looking to get the new 2008 Accent 3 door sport form my daily driver to work and back, keep the Santa fe for weekends, (its a little hard on gas for a daily driver. )

This is not an easy question since things change over time. I have a 97 Hyundai Elantra 5SP. Just a plain one. no gls Bought at 63K in 1999 Now have like 172K miles
If you asked the guy I talked to with a 98 Elantra Auto he could not sell if fast enough. The transmission was given him problems. Who know how he drove and how it was maintained. Me I have a love/hate relationship with mine. Love it been the cheapest and reliable car over the 110K I have owned it. I have always used syn motor oil. Hate that it does not handle like my 90 Horizon.
Another example is Saturn. I like the ones from 92-95 BUT things change and they don't have things on them like transmission filters that look like oil filters that are EASY to change. Maybe the newest ones are good now?
The ongoing problem I have had with mine are the tires. Every few years I have having slow leaks fixed in them. I think it has to do with the fact it had fix-a-flat in all four tires when I bought it leading to the rims rusting???
Major things fixed are cat converter, clutch 150K miles, muffler, oil pan leak (replaced it), rust (I live in NY state), all four springs and struts,
Well you get the idea. If you can get a inexpensive one go for it
Yes, I would recommend a Hyundai. I have a 2006 Elantra and have been pleased with the vehicle, from the sales experience to the service experiences. Some posters have complained about the tires, etc., this is not the fault of the car, but the tires. After all, the tires are warranted by the tire manufacturer, not Hyundai. I've owned the following makes of cars since 1985: Dodge, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, SAAB, Toyota, Volvo, and now Hyundai. The Elantra has been as good, or better, than any of the aforementioned cars. The fit and finish, and overall build quality, is also excellent. I would not hesitate to recommend a Hyundai to my best friend. One interesting piece of trivia: one of my business colleagues husband is a Toyota Service Manager. Guess what minivan they drive, and was recommend to her by her husband?? - a Hyundai!
I've had a fair cluster of problems, but I still think I would consider a Hyundai, if it met my shopping criteria. Anyone who is at all handy can grab tons of information from hmaservice.com and tackle a lot of the repairs themselves.
I test drove the Sonata and it just didn't seem to work with my body geometries -- but that's a very personal gripe; it's probably fine for most people. I still want to look at the Santa Fe and Tucson.
I would not purchase a car from Kearney Mesa Hyundai, if you happen to be in San Diego (I wonder about whether there's something shady in the whole "Sunroad" chain of dealers in Kearney Mesa -- I've had a bad test drive experience at their Toyota, and unsatisfactory repair experiences at their Hyundai and Ford dealerships. My friend had a fine time at the Honda dealership though).
desgnr wrote:

Probably. My 06 Sonata has been the most trouble-free car I've ever owned, but it also has some of the most annoying design quirks, particularly a lousy clutch and over sensitive electronic throttle. If they would hire BMW to design their clutch and throttle, it would be an amazing car.
Matt

Throttle sensitivity bothered me for a month or so, but no more. One of us has changed, I guess. It has been a common complaint though.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I can't remember if you have standard shift or automatic. With an automatic, it would likely not be an issue and I didn't notice it with the two automatics I test drove. I suspect it is amplified with standard shift. You drive a BMW and then the Sonata and the difference is night and day. BMW knows how to do standard shift right and Hyundai hasn't a clue.
Matt
wrote in message

Well, I have an automatic and the throttle sensitivity is still an issue for me. Yes, I have gotten used to it, but there are still times, especially after driving another car of just about any make or model, when I am still stunned by it. I can't imagine how you engage the clutch without chirping the tires or stalling on almost every 1st gear start.
And not to argue the point about BMW's, but I personally think Honda has the best manual on the market. But I know you are a little anti-Honda, Matt.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

I've gotten fairly good at starting out, unless there is a lot of noise around like a large truck or Harley sitting beside me. Neither the clutch nor the throttle gives any tactile feedback, unlike every other standard shift car or truck I've driven. So, without aural feedback, it is easy to either stall the engine or race it to 2,000 RPM when starting out.
Actually, the most troublesome area for me is still the 1-2 shift. I rarely get that done smoothly. 2-3, 3-4 and 4-5 aren't bad now.

I've never driven a stick shift Honda so I have no basis for comparison. Of all the cars I've driven, the BMW is the best. For trucks, my current Chevy K1500 with the MT8 transmission is the best.
Matt

I'd have to agree with you on that one. The 3 Honda's I've had were manuals and they all had a really sweet clutch.
We're an all automatic family now, though. Arthritis in my clutch foot.
Jon

I have auto. I've either gotten used to it or it smoothed out over time. It was a PITA the first month or so. Going from one car to another does not seem to make much difference though. I may have mention it before, but the wife of a guy at work got rid of her 06 LX after six months solely because of the throttle.
No doubt the BMW is much better. I've not driven one for a while but performance was better than the Sonata, but the price tag was much different also.

As told in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw6Lmq3brjI

--
Zotto Sonica barbonica driver
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zottoida/

The only problem I had with my '05 Elantra was that it was too small. It was fine for around town but on lengthy drives too cramped. Since my purchase my brother has gotten an '06 Elantra as has my sisters best friend, and my father has bought an Entourage as well as my Elantra, all on my recomendation.