Would you buy again ?

Do you guys recommend buying a Hyundai ?

Reply to
desgnr

NO !

Reply to
ET

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 12:43:52 GMT, desgnr posted:

I would. This year we just bought our second one.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

I would. They have really good customer service, and make decent cars. We're on our fourth hyundai. (We're a family of four)

Reply to
mmcclaf

Yes. Excellent value for a great car. In my extended family we have 3 dating back to 2001. They've all been good vehicles.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Yes I would buy again, On my third Hyundai. First was in 1997 Elantra Now I have a 2006 Santa Fe. Looking to get the new 2008 Accent 3 door sport form my daily driver to work and back, keep the Santa fe for weekends, (its a little hard on gas for a daily driver. )

Reply to
Finn

This is not an easy question since things change over time. I have a 97 Hyundai Elantra 5SP. Just a plain one. no gls Bought at 63K in 1999 Now have like 172K miles

If you asked the guy I talked to with a 98 Elantra Auto he could not sell if fast enough. The transmission was given him problems. Who know how he drove and how it was maintained. Me I have a love/hate relationship with mine. Love it been the cheapest and reliable car over the 110K I have owned it. I have always used syn motor oil. Hate that it does not handle like my 90 Horizon.

Another example is Saturn. I like the ones from 92-95 BUT things change and they don't have things on them like transmission filters that look like oil filters that are EASY to change. Maybe the newest ones are good now?

The ongoing problem I have had with mine are the tires. Every few years I have having slow leaks fixed in them. I think it has to do with the fact it had fix-a-flat in all four tires when I bought it leading to the rims rusting???

Major things fixed are cat converter, clutch 150K miles, muffler, oil pan leak (replaced it), rust (I live in NY state), all four springs and struts,

Well you get the idea. If you can get a inexpensive one go for it

Reply to
kjones1200

Yes, I would recommend a Hyundai. I have a 2006 Elantra and have been pleased with the vehicle, from the sales experience to the service experiences. Some posters have complained about the tires, etc., this is not the fault of the car, but the tires. After all, the tires are warranted by the tire manufacturer, not Hyundai. I've owned the following makes of cars since 1985: Dodge, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, SAAB, Toyota, Volvo, and now Hyundai. The Elantra has been as good, or better, than any of the aforementioned cars. The fit and finish, and overall build quality, is also excellent. I would not hesitate to recommend a Hyundai to my best friend. One interesting piece of trivia: one of my business colleagues husband is a Toyota Service Manager. Guess what minivan they drive, and was recommend to her by her husband?? - a Hyundai!

Reply to
Don Allen

I've had a fair cluster of problems, but I still think I would consider a Hyundai, if it met my shopping criteria. Anyone who is at all handy can grab tons of information from hmaservice.com and tackle a lot of the repairs themselves.

I test drove the Sonata and it just didn't seem to work with my body geometries -- but that's a very personal gripe; it's probably fine for most people. I still want to look at the Santa Fe and Tucson.

I would not purchase a car from Kearney Mesa Hyundai, if you happen to be in San Diego (I wonder about whether there's something shady in the whole "Sunroad" chain of dealers in Kearney Mesa -- I've had a bad test drive experience at their Toyota, and unsatisfactory repair experiences at their Hyundai and Ford dealerships. My friend had a fine time at the Honda dealership though).

Reply to
Matthew Fedder

Probably. My 06 Sonata has been the most trouble-free car I've ever owned, but it also has some of the most annoying design quirks, particularly a lousy clutch and over sensitive electronic throttle. If they would hire BMW to design their clutch and throttle, it would be an amazing car.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

The only problem I had with my '05 Elantra was that it was too small. It was fine for around town but on lengthy drives too cramped. Since my purchase my brother has gotten an '06 Elantra as has my sisters best friend, and my father has bought an Entourage as well as my Elantra, all on my recomendation.

Reply to
Smee

My wife has an 01 Elantra that we bought new with no problems at all. My daughter has an 04 Elantra that has been trouble free and I have an

03 Sonata LX that we also bought new that had a bad rear defrost which required replacing the rear window to fix. Hyundai did the repair quickly and without incident.

So, yes, I'd buy again. In fact, in the spring I plan to give the Sonata to my wife, sell her Elantra and get myself an Azera Limited.

All that being said, the one thing I've done to all of our cars is get rid of the godawful original equipment Michelin MXV4 tires and put Kumho Solus KH16s on the Elantras and a set of Yokohama Avid H4S on the Sonata. Well worth it.

Reply to
pappy

Absolutely!

Since Hyundai and Kia are basically the same company now, I will lump my Kias in this as well. Between the two brands, I just purchased my fifth one.

Earlier years (20th century models) were indeed "cheap" cars. But this one, the '06 Spectra, essentially the Hyundai Elantra, is one of the best put-together cars I have ever seen from ANY brand.

Hyundai/Kia has definitely put a premium on quality recently, and it shows in their vehicles. And since their vehicles can still be had for thousands less than other brands, I do not believe there is a better value in the industry, be it for cars, SUV's, or minvans.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Hudson75

Yes, based on my experience of 11 months and 21,000 miles on my 07 Sonata. Trouble free, no warranty issues at all. I have the limited V-6 and performance is great. Best value around.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes I have owned my 2002 elantra since sept 2001 and while i have had my share of problems it wouldn't put me off buying another hyundai.

The next vehicle i buy will have a little more guts for towing but i'm put off because hyundai doesn't state the towing details for the santa fe ?? It certainly seems to have more guts than the Escape.

Ford Escape V6 3.0 l Horsepower 200@6,000 Torque (lb.-ft.@rpm) 193@4,850 Towing Rating 3500 lbs

Hyundai Sana Fe V6 3.3 l Horsepower 242@6000 Torque (lb.-ft.@rpm) 226@4500 Towing Rating ?????? some sites say 2000lbs

Reply to
jmh_ottawa

Afaik the Santa Fe is built on a Sonata frame , the SF will have a lesser Towing Rating than the Snotty because it weighs more, for every pound on the same chassis the LESS it can tow. towing 'guts' (HP, Torque ) have very little to do with towing ,weight, chassis 'guts' , wheelbase, braking, rim and tire stats are what are important to how it 'tows' .............

Personally if I were wanting to tow I would buy the 'tool' that fits the job but then as far as I am concerned ALL simply usless vehicles built on a CAR frame are rediculous...............(if you put 4 adults and a lot of luggage in them they are 'overloaded' ) ymmv.

Good luck

Reply to
Michael

"desgnr" wrote in news:coAzi.4814$Wr3.1689@trndny03:

Well, I am on my 7th now, so I would have to say yes. I still have the two newest, but another 3 are still running in the family. And, well, let's just say that the first two were problematic but nothing too serious.

My 7th, an Entourage, just saved my family's life in a fight with a tractor trailer.

P.S. - I just got the Entourage back from the repairs from that fight. It came out great and I am very satisfied. I also got my $500 deductible back (actually I got the check a few days before I even had to pay it), and the truckers insurance paid for my car rental after all.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Reply to
razz

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 07:44:04 -0600, Oleg Lego posted:

After reading some of the other responses, I remembered that my wife had two previous models. I don't remember the model of the first one, but the second was, I think, a Stellar. So, the Sonata we bought this year makes it the fourth one.

Reply to
Oleg Lego