Would you buy another Hyundai?

Page 1 of 4
If not, what would be your choice?

Buying today? Yes. But I only have 12,000 miles and six months on my Sonata. Perfect so far. Ask me again after I've had it for four years or so.
Yes but not from the dealer that I bought the last 3 from in Weatherford Texas USA
Richard

Huffiness Hyundai of Plano is great...that where I got my 2005 Elantra...and yes, I'll buy another Hyundai. :-) Liz

In a heartbeat! (2005 Accent 5 speed.) But, Not from the crooked dealership that I bought this one from.
Jack Cassidy
Yes....got two now a SF and a Sonata.....Good dealer, in Regina SK Canada....treats you right!.....
...Del Sur Al Norte...Regina Sk. Canada Latin and South American Folk dance band: www.DelSurAlNorte.info

Yes, but not going to. I got most of my family to buy Hyundais 2 Elantras and 1 Entourage (Actually 3 Elantras selling mine to family member). Nothing against them but they just don't have what I'm looking for right now. After looking around for the past few months I have decide on A Chevy Equinox as my next vehicle. Thought about the Tucson and a Murano but the Chevy is a happy medium, plus $1000 of because of my GM credit card.

Yes, but... I am at roughly 10 months and 8000 miles on my Sonata with relatively few issues and lots of smiles.
As for the "yes but" part... Looking back, I wish I'd waited for the new Santa Fe. It just would have been the better choice for me.
Maybe. I found a GREAT dealer in Plano, TX, Huffines (bought our 2nd one there), and a crooked dealer in Mesquite...(bought our 3rd one there).
However, Hyundais are getting expensive enough that they are losing their cost - effective appeal. They still have their relative ease of maintenance going for them, however they are not as fuel (or emission) efficient as, say, Honda. Also, for the $$, surprisingly enough, GM cars are catching up fast... believe me that is hard for me to admit.... I have lothed them for 30 years - but they seem to have gotten their act together (almost too late).
So either a GM or a Honda would probably be my next car.... or a vintage Porsche 911 if I won the lottery ;).
--
KWW

"irwell" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I won't argue that GM's are catching up fast. But, being a recovering GM apologist, I can tell you they are still nowhere's near where they have to be to start being competitive again.
Still way too many problems I can only define as "GM'isms." I have an '03 Oldsmobile, and I, for one, am not seeing near the improvements I need to yet.
Domestics are only slowly and begrudgingly starting to try to address their 3rd-rate powertrains - like the one currently in the Equinox (do not see why someone would think that vehicle is perfect for them). And GM's continue to have some of the worst seats in the industry.
Now GM has just recently come out with a new 3.6L V6, being matched to either a 5- or 6-speed transmission. This is looking like a seriously good powertrain, but up until now, they are refusing to put it into vehicles like the Equinox (though it is now in the Equinox-based Suzuki XL-7).
But until they get more history, and more of a dedicated willingness to do these kinds of things, right now Hyundai runs circles around GM.
And Hyundai, by the way, is the only car company that Honda is taking seriously - and Hyundai and Honda are the two companies GM is studying the most for "how to do it right."
"KWW" <kirk.walker ahyt aircooled doht neyt> wrote in message

Rev. Tom Wenndt wrote:

That is pretty dumb since Toyota is clearly the leader in almost every front in the auto industry. It is pretty sad when the car companies can't even figure out who is in first.
Matt
Yes, and I already have. I had the 2002 Santa Fe LX and just recently traded it in for the 2007 model. By the time I get rid of this model, they would probably have a hybrid version out and that will be the next one for me to get. If not, it would be the Veracruz.
TS
Rev. Tom Wenndt wrote:

Obviously he should have had Toyota first or second.
At our auto show I felt the Tucson would fit my needs, if it had a full sized spare. It looks like it would take one, if that foam spacer was cut thinner. The dealer didn't impress me by saying they didn't factory install a full sized spare so the narrow spare would remind one to fix the flat.

Reply to message from "KWW" <kirk.walker ahyt aircooled doht neyt> (Sat, 07 Apr 2007 07:23:27) about "Re: Would you buy another Hyundai?":
K> So either a GM or a Honda would probably be my next car....
He he he ... unbelievable that you would consider these two side by side. To me they are worlds apart.
Best Regards
Wayne Moses wrote:

I agree. After the new 84 Accord that I bought when had its top-end self-destruct at 72,000 miles, I would never insult GM by lumping them with Honda! What an insult to GM.
Matt
20:05) about "Re: Would you buy another Hyundai?":
MW> I agree. After the new 84 Accord that I bought when had its top-end MW> self- destruct at 72,000 miles, I would never insult GM by lumping MW> them with Honda! What an insult to GM.
Haha ... I was actually ranking them in the reverse to you, for much the same reasons that the real car mags (C&D, R&T, etc.) and the useless (as far as cars are concerned, unless you are a soccer mom) Consumer Reports. ;-)
Best Regards
Wayne Moses wrote:

None of those magazines look at reliability and CR only does through user surveys, not their own long-term tests.
My Accord self-destructed at 72,000 miles and required replacement of the cam and all 16 rocker arms and had metal circulated through the engine for several miles before it finally completely failed. It was making noise at 60,000 and I had the dealership listen to it and they pronounced it normal.
What really irked me was the treatment by Honda. The dealer of course said it was out of warranty, which it was, but also agreed with me that this shouldn't have happened. I sent a letter to Honda as the repair was something like $600 and I didn't have a lot of money in those days. I thought they might at least meet me halfway and provide the parts and I'd pay the labor as each was about half the total. Instead, they sent me a letter (which I think I still have in my files) accusing me of not maintaining the car properly as the failure appeared to be lubrication related. This was really dumb on their part as I keep a log in all of my vehicles and record EVERYTHING including every gas purchase and I keep a running MPG tally on every tank. I had probably 30 pages in the book by then so I copied them all and sent them to Honda. I also sent copies of my receipts for all of the genuine Honda oil filters I had purchased and the Mobil 1 oil that I used. They did something even more stupid and wrote a second letter stating that it "appeared" that I had maintained the vehicle properly but that the engine was out of warranty and in any event they considered 72,000 miles of service life to be within "normal manufacturing variance."
Well, I've never had an engine fail that completely before or since and I don't consider 72,000 miles to be acceptable life for a modern engine so I decided at that point that Honda's standards simply weren't high enough for me. I haven't bought a Honda since and never will again. I've bought five new vehicles since then and Honda could have had probably three of those sales and maybe more now that they have a pickup. So, they lost 3-5 new vehicle sales because they wouldn't stand behind their product with $300 in parts. So, their business sense is as bad as their consumer affairs.
Matt
11:22) about "Re: Would you buy another Hyundai?":
MW> What really irked me was the treatment by Honda.
Now that I can understand because both in Canada and here in the US I am yet to go into a Honda dealership and not see some degree of smugness. I also went into a GM (yeah GM!) dealer once and encountered that same bullsh*t. Full of themselves they were and had no time to even bother themselves to come over to me to see if I needed any assistance.
MW> Well, I've never had an engine fail that completely before or since MW> and I don't consider 72,000 miles to be acceptable life for a modern MW> engine
Well, based on your description of the level of care you gave that car, it certainly appears to have failed prematurely. I think that Honda could have done a heck of a lot more in the interest of customer relations in your case.
MW> I haven't bought MW> a Honda since and never will again.
I understand. I think that Honda could have done a lot more to avoid that and the possible loss of business due to word of month.
All of the above aside, I am _totally_ unconvinced that model on model GM engineering can be compared with Honda *or even Hyundai*.
The arguments you made easily indicate you had a crappy Honda and their handling of the issue was just as crappy, but it did not prove that GM vehicles in general, and model for model, were more reliable or better by any yardstick than Honda. I have had friends recount similar experiences with their GM cars as you had with your Honda.
Best Regards
Wayne Moses wrote:

My GM experience has been more with trucks than cars. A Chevy truck is hard to beat, I don't care what anyone says. I had to laugh as the Toyota salesman was salivating when he saw that my current vehicle was a 94. He made some comment about my current truck being about done in, and I said that it was just getting broke in! And I wasn't joking. It runs like a top and has almost no rust and the interior looks like new other than a few stains on the carpet. The drive train has only required replacement of one U-joint on the front drive shaft and brake pads and shoes in 95,000 miles of plowing snow and hauling firewood. The clutch is original, the shocks are original, the engine is basically untouched (yes, original water pump, starter, alternator, etc.) other than maintenance items like hoses, belts, spark plugs and filters. This truck sees more time in 4-wheel drive in one winter than most Toyota or Nissan trucks see in a lifetime of running to the mall! :-)
I'm less impressed with GM's cars as I get Pontiacs as rentals all the time, but I had a Buick Park Avenue rental a few years ago for a fairly long trip and it wasn't a half bad car. Other than steering that was too vague and a ride that was too mushy, it was a decent car. And it got 30 MPG running at 80 MPH on a 7 hour trip! And this for a large car that had pretty good performance. It got as good a mileage as my standard shift, 4 cylinder Sonata gets!!
I personally believe that the engineering of the American brands is still as good as anyone, even the Japanese, but the assembly just isn't up to par. I still pretty much believe the old saying though that "A GM will run bad longer than most cars will run."
Matt
36:00) about "Re: Would you buy another Hyundai?":
MW> My GM experience has been more with trucks than cars. A Chevy truck is MW> hard to beat, I don't care what anyone says.
Apparently Ford owners see things very differently. The Ford F-150 is the US best selling vehicle (not just truck) for the past 24 years.
I would also not dismiss the 2007 Toyota Tundra.
Best Regards