XG Electronics

2002 XG 350 - 150,000 Km.

First the fuel gauge started acting up, then the speedomoter quit and the Brakes, ABS and TCS warning lights came on.

I cleaned up the battery terminals and topped up the battery with water (it was pretty dry) and the gas gauge now works fine but the other problem won't go away. It only happens after driving for a bit. When the car is started it behaves fine for a while before the speedo quits and the warning lights come on.

I was afraid that the battery might have given up since it was so dry but it is fine - 12.9V a few days after a full charge.

Any ideas?

Reply to
John Holman

B Crawford

I'm wondering if it could be your alternator. My wifes 2002 XG350 alternator went out recently (67k miles = 107k km). My first hint that something was wrong was when I found her battery real low on water. Just figured I hadn't checked it often enough. Then a couple of headlights failed - we run with the headlights on all the time and they fail more often than I'd like so a couple failures is not that unusual. Then the alternator quit and I'm pretty sure thats been a problem for a while. By the way, the brake light is wired to go on along with the alternator light when the alternator fails...don't know why they did it that way, but they did.

What kind of battery voltage are you seeing after the car has been running for a while and the battery is all charged up? If you are seeing 15 v or more you have alternator issues. This high voltage might be intermittant too.

P.S. you don't have to remove the radiator to replace the alternator (just the radiator fan).

Dan

Reply to
Dan K

Thanks guys,

The alternator angle intrigues me. We had a 120 Km run with the car today which ended about 2 hrs ago. The probelem is still with us although, oddly today, the speedometer quit independently of the idiot lights coming on. The current battery voltage sits at 13.34 which is high but not the 15v that Dan mentions.

This could be the problem since the car works fine when first started and the problem shows up between 5 mins and 20 mins after start up and only when the car is in motion.

John

Reply to
John Holman

Oh, and Dan, I too had both low beams fail it seems at almost the same time that all this started.

Reply to
John Holman

Dan, you were right. A new alternator. I'm $700 (Cdn) poorer tonight!!

Reply to
John Holman

Reply to
B Crawford

Unfortunatly, $700 Cdn is about what it costs. My brother in law just paid $1200 US for his XG300 but he had them do the timing belt and water pump while they were in there. He was told it was a 6 hour labor job and the radiator had to be removed. I bought my rebuilt alternator at an auto parts store for $165 (dealer wanted $220 - $230) and it took me 6 hours to do the job, first time-amature mechanic. The radiator did not have to come out, just the fan. I'm betting I can do the next alternator in 3 hours and the one after that in an hour and a half, so that 6 hours book is a really inflated number.

John - Let us all know in a week or so if the alternator really fixed all your problems.

Dan

Reply to
Dan K