XG300 Trans question...

Hi all, I recently bought a 2000 XG300 with the 5 speed trans. Only 65k klms and generally drives perfectly.

The only thing that seems a little odd is when accelerating up a medium to steep hill, the trans holds on to 2nd or 3rd for longer than seems necessary. Even if I back off the throttle to encourage an up-change, it hangs on.

Is this a characteristic of this trans, or is it something that might need attention? When driving on the flat the box is quiet, smooth and changes normally.

Thanks for any input.

-- Message posted using

information at

Essex

adjust transmission bands, can be done by good shop. also check fluid. MF.

Reply to
mykey

I'd change transmission fluid, I just do an easy drain and fill. App 6 qts, but be sure to use Hyundai transmission fluid ($$$). Also, I'd call a dealer and ask if there are any updates to the computer...yours may need to be updated. There should be a sticker on the drivers door indicating what rev you have. Transmission shifting might be affected by computer programming.

Dan

Reply to
Dan K

If it's shifting smoothly and otherwise performs normally, it's probably normal. *Do not* attempt any mechanical adjustments to this transmission. A quick scan of the reprograms available shows several to resolve shift flare or shudder, but none that would change the shift schedule.

You should expect that changing the fluid will also not change shift schedule. Of course, if the fluid condition warrants a change, then changing the fluid (SPIII only) is a good idea.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Reply to
B Crawford

Thanks for your help guys. Fluid is clean and at correct level. I will check for latest firmware. I've found that I can override the tendency to hold on to the lower gears using the manual shift function on hills where needed.

With B Crawford's experience, it sounds like this is fairly normal behaviour for this box.

Thanks again!

-- Message posted using

information at

Essex

Don't let the discoloration of the transmission fluid bother you too much. The SPIII fluid tends to darken early. As long as it stays reasonably transparent (although possibly brown) and still has the original odor, it should be okay.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech