XG300 Trans question...

Hi all, I recently bought a 2000 XG300 with the 5 speed trans. Only 65k klms and generally drives perfectly.
The only thing that seems a little odd is when accelerating up a medium to
steep hill, the trans holds on to 2nd or 3rd for longer than seems necessary. Even if I back off the throttle to encourage an up-change, it hangs on.
Is this a characteristic of this trans, or is it something that might need attention? When driving on the flat the box is quiet, smooth and changes normally.
Thanks for any input.

adjust transmission bands, can be done by good shop. also check fluid. MF.

I'd change transmission fluid, I just do an easy drain and fill. App 6 qts, but be sure to use Hyundai transmission fluid ($$$). Also, I'd call a dealer and ask if there are any updates to the computer...yours may need to be updated. There should be a sticker on the drivers door indicating what rev you have. Transmission shifting might be affected by computer programming.
Dan
If it's shifting smoothly and otherwise performs normally, it's probably normal. *Do not* attempt any mechanical adjustments to this transmission. A quick scan of the reprograms available shows several to resolve shift flare or shudder, but none that would change the shift schedule.
You should expect that changing the fluid will also not change shift schedule. Of course, if the fluid condition warrants a change, then changing the fluid (SPIII only) is a good idea.
Thanks for your help guys. Fluid is clean and at correct level. I will check for latest firmware. I've found that I can override the tendency to hold on to the lower gears using the manual shift function on hills where needed.
With B Crawford's experience, it sounds like this is fairly normal behaviour for this box.
Thanks again!
Hello Essex, I drive a XG300 with 122,000km as described. Your experience sounds similar to mine. I have always found the tranny very hard to second guess as to what it will do as well as slow to seek out a different gear. The dealer said that all software updates were done but yes this tranny was slow. We live in mountains & yes it does shift down going up grades, holds longer than I would expect, & often going down hill on the other side of the slope will gear up & then shift down again much like you might with a standard. I do seem to find that the damn expensive Hyundai tranny fluid darkens & I have flushed mine 3 times now (as per online manual directions). Other than these comments I don't think the function of the tranny has changed at all since new. BTW, watch out for the mass air flow sensor malfunction on this model (this Bosch part is not cheap!). Your mileage is a bit low but the age may count too. Suspect it if you get a code set indicating 2, O2 sensors need replacing + the car starts to sporadically act like it's getting insufficient fuel. BCinBC

Don't let the discoloration of the transmission fluid bother you too much. The SPIII fluid tends to darken early. As long as it stays reasonably transparent (although possibly brown) and still has the original odor, it should be okay.