XG350 Timing belt at 90,000

I decided at 60,000 to put off the timing belt until 90,000 on my 2002 XG350, mostly because the car was only 3 years old at 60,000 miles. Well, its going to turn 90,000 in another month and I'm trying to get a list of parts togeather. I fully intend to keep the vehicle to byond 180,000 miles. I know HyundaiTech suggests replacing the hydraulic belt tensioner, why is this? Have you seen them fail? There are lots of parts that could take out an engine if they fail...why have you focused in on the hydraulic belt tensioner? I'm not doubting your thinking, I'm just trying to understand why you make this suggestion.

plenium gasket - required when back 3 spark plugs are replaced spark plugs waterpump - might as well timing belt hydraulic belt tensioner serpintene belt fuel filter air filter tranny fluid for a drain and fill antifreeze for a drain and fill Any insights on replacing radiator hoses?? Other??

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
Dan K

Your list looks pretty good, Dan.

The reason for recommending the timing belt tensioner is that I have indeed seen them fail. And if it causes the belt to slip, it can have the same consequences as a stripped or broken timing belt. It's one of those cases where I think you're better safe than sorry.

And, at 90k, I think you're correct that the water pump is a good idea. The timing belt is very labor intensive on this car, and at 90k, your water pump warranty is just about over. It'd be very disappointing to need to pay that labor all over again if the water pump started to leak.

Reply to
hyundaitech