XG350 vs Amanti

I am in the new car market. We were planning on purchasing an Acura TL but have driven the Kia Amanti and the XG350. The Hyundai salesman said this is
the "same" car. The Kia guy says it's not. Are they based on the same car? I like them both but my wife likes the "Acura" name.
--
Rob

From what I know, the Amanti is built of a stretched Sonata EF platform 1999-2005 as is the Xg350... The Kia's engine is also from Hyundai. Go for the The XG350, or better yet wait a month or two and look at the Hyundai Azera, the XG350's replacement. http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_page_order_int/1/article_id_int/461 (much better, nicer)

Everything I've heard indicates they're not the same. The powertrains (I believe) are the same, but purportedly the Kia is a larger vehicle. They are, however built on very similar chasses.
I haven't checked reliability ratings recently, but I haven't been overly impressed with the XG's reliability. It hasn't been horrible, but I believe it's Hyundai's worst model in terms of quality. If the Acura scores high marks in quality, that may be reason enough to go with the Acura, or at least do some sort of statistical comparison between the XG, Amanti, and Acura.
After shopping for three days my wife decided she wanted a '06 Sonata LX. It's a beautiful car that I liked better than the XG. It listed for $23,495. I got it for $19,489 after $2500 rebates and negotiating, plus they are tinting my windows. I felt like I got a good deal which makes me feel nervous. They probably laughed at me for thinking I got a good deal as I walked out. Thanks for the replys.
Rob

Lucky devils =)

Rob wrote:

excellent choice. the '06 Sonata is a much better car than the XG. you got a good price too.