Yawing problem?

Within about the last week or so I've noticed that my 2001 Hyundai Accent GL is rocking from side to side, in a sort of yawing motion. This only happens at low speeds, less the 20 mph. Now when I'm driving and I release the steering wheel, the car goes perfectly straight (assuming a level surface), so I'm assuming my wheel alignment is OK. My tire pressures are ok. And I had the tires rotated 3k miles ago.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be, or what to do. Maybe it's no big deal but it's annoying in stop and go traffic (in other words twice a day).

Kevin

Reply to
kcw

My guess: Bad tire. Have the tires looked at pronto...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Had a bad tire that caused that sideways bobble on an old Merc. The tire tread wasn't vulcanized straight on the tire carcass. Or it was a bad tread. As the tread wore down, it became more and more 'offset'. Got to the point when I pulled up to a stop light, the whole front end wobbled as if someone was pushing sideways on the front fender. No problem at higher speeds. Just to be sure, jack up the tire and spin it . Should be easy to spot. Cure is another tire.

S25

Reply to
S25

**Back when I had an old Chevy Lumina, I noticed a yawing motion in the rear while out running errands one day. Visually, I didn't see anything wrong with the tire. I kept a close eye on it anyway and almost two weeks had passed when I noticed the tire seemed to lose a little air. I cleaned the tire when I got home (live on a dirt road) and moved it around until I found the culprit: A nail. Got it patched and the car was fine.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Thanks for the responses. I checked the tires, and didn't see anything wrong. BUt then I didn't know what I was looking for. I took it to the dealer (they've ben very good to me service wise, so I give them business when it's realtively reasonable), explained what was happening. He told me it sounded like I slipped a belt. Sure enough he pointed out a bulge the other tires didn't have, replaced the tire, and it's riding beautifully now.

Thanks for all the responses.

Kevin

Reply to
kcw