01 Rodeo Wiring for Trailer Hitch

Just put a DrawTight hitch on my 01 Rodeo. Anyone ever wired a connector to go to a standard one bulb brake/turn signal trailer lighting system from the Rodeo's two bulb system? Looked under the Rodeo and couldn't easily see the wiring.........where does the taillight wiring run in the Rodeo.

Thanks, Wayne in Gilroy, Ca

Reply to
NoSpam

Get out from under the car. Don't go to the Isuau dealer! Go to back to the DrawTight, U-Haul, or whereever. They have the adapter to from the Rodeo Harness to the trailer plug. Yes it is expensive but only half tje cost of the Isuzu item.

Next open up the Jack access pannel - left size by the 'tail gate' hinge. The trailer connecter is behind that panel. I did that same thing about 2 years ago, leaving a long cable on the trailer end of the wire - that way when I'm not towing I can keep it inside - dry with no road salts.

mike

Reply to
Mike Vore

Does that adapter include a relay and wiring to the battery? Having your trailer lights draw power directly off the tail light harness of the tow vehicle is generally not a good idea. I've seen too many overheated light switches fried.

My Isuzu came wired from the factory and did include proper wiring. I'm just wondering what you get with a U-Haul adapter.

Reply to
Miles

Good Question, but I don't know the answer other than to say that the adaptor I purchased was made for the 'o1 Rodeo. So I'm hoping that the makers know what they were doing - and the Rodeo came with the connector ready for it.

Reply to
Mike Vore

Well, there's 4 Troopers in our family (90, 93, 94, and 02) and all of them have towed 18' travel trailers wired off the main lights and never a problem in any of them...Rodeo may be different, but I wouldn't think so. Sounds like the same plug in the rear drivers side on the Rodeo as the Trooper - that plug is a very handy thing. :-) Now if only wiring in a 12v constant and brake control was as easy!

Wesley

Reply to
Ntelos

Look in the jack storage, rear drivers side. The connector is in there. You're best bet is to buy from WalMart and get the adapter. Mine cost $15. Below the jack (hidden) is a rubber plug which allows the wires to pass out of the jack well to the hitch area. Install the little plug from the outside thru the hole to the connector in the jack well. Amigos are the same. Good Luck

Thanks, Wayne in Gilroy, Ca

Reply to
John Smith