1986 Isuzu P'up clutch problem

I bought a 1986 Isuzu P'up two days ago, knowing that it had clutch problems. I've checked it out, and this is what I've found: The clutch pedal is INSANELY loose, it drops about seven inches lower than it should be, and because of this I have serious trouble changing gears.

I plan on replacing the clutch cable, but there's another problem: The clutch cable comes out of the pedal, then winds it's way through the front of the car and ends up going into the body of the truck (where I'm assuming the transmission is), and at that point, where the cable ends at a bolt, there's a small plate or disk that's broken in half and is held together against the body of the truck. I can't figure out what this disk is, or what it does, or anything else about it, I only know that it probably needs to be replaced.

Can anybody please let me know what this is? I need to replace it soon because I need to get the truck running by the end of the week. Help would be appreciated!!!!

--Ichbins

Reply to
Ichbins

This is a very common problem with these great old trucks. Isuzu even published a TSB on this back in 1987. You probably should be a member over at the IsuzuPup.com forum. Here are some links to the topic you're asking about:

?t=1246 (see the second TSB) Hope you will join us.

Jack

Ichb> I bought a 1986 Isuzu P'up two days ago, knowing that it had clutch

Reply to
dieselpup

The easiest way to fix it is to buy my 91 4X4. Has the V6, 5 speed, aluminum wheels and 25,000 actual miles. Can send you pictures:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al