1989 Isuzu Trooper 2.6L 4 Cyl. With Fuel Injection, Warm Start Problem

I have a problem in which the car will not idle after being run and sitting for ten minutes or so. When I restart, I have to keep my foot on the accelerator, until it will start to idle without stalling out
(takes a couple of minutes). After that the car is fine, has plenty of power. There is no check engine light, or codes stored. It smells as if the car is running rich. I changed the oxygen sensor and re-adjusted the valves. I took a fuel pressure reading at the pressure regulator, and it appears to sit at 35 psi. as per the manual. The fuel pump pressure is also good at 60 psi., and holds pressure when shut off. The car has good compression and I cannot find any vacuum leaks. I'm temped to change the pressure regulator, as I have read a post in which that solved a similar problem. The air regulator opens when the car is cold and closes hot. I do not seem to have a cold idle problem. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any help would be appreciated.

The rich running smell may be the evaporative loss canister, especially if you're in the habit of topping off the fuel tank. You might disconnect it for a day and see if that clears it up. Unfortunately, you can't clean them and it if is the problem you will need to replace it.