1990 Trooper Check Engine Light Constantly On

Hello Everyone,
I have recently inherited a 1990 trooper 2.8v6 5 speed 4wd project. After putting a fresh battery in her I noticed the check engine light
is constantly on even with key out, it goes out once the key is turned to the on position. Engine cranks but never starts. Compression is good on all cylinders, and there is good spark at the plugs, also I never hear the fuel pump kick on. I have replaced the ecm with the same results.
Any Suggestions?
Thanks
David Schultz snipped-for-privacy@dynabyte.net