1994 Trooper squeal and stop

Hey gang...hoping someone might have had some experience and give me some idea what to look for. Just got home from a trip across town and was making
the turn a block from our house. I heard a sound that sounded sort of like a belt squaling (but not quite) and then the engine stopped. Tried to re-start it, it squealed constantly and turned over slowly, but not enough to start. Pushed it down the block, parked it, grabbed a flashlight and took a look. Tranny fluid looks ok, oil's low but in the OK range. My wife hits the starter a brief moment while I'm watching and I hear a really nasty squealing whine coming from something (belts are turning). I'm guessing maybe the alternator or some part has all but seized and is causing this sound? It's similar in pitch to a belt squeal, but more metallic sounding - almost like scraping metal on metal but making a nice whine sound. If someone has an idea, I may attempt a repair myself (if it's fairly easy), otherwise, I guess I'll have to call the tow truck and my mechanic... :-(
If it matters, it's a 94 trooper with 128,000 miles...
Thanks,
Wesley
Sounds like what just happened to my 1995 trooper. It was the starter. I thought about doing it myself until I saw it nicely tucked betweend the oil pan, transmission and exhaust system. I was told that you don't want to start it like this too much because it can strip the fly wheel (?). Took it to PepBoys by me and they replaced it for about $250. Dealer had quoted me over $400 and more importantly at the time (was Dec 24th) told me that it would take a few days.
Good luck

making
like
wife
nasty
sounding -

Ouch...I just had a new starter put on it not too long ago! Wasn't a cheap job... :-(
Maybe someone else has a cheaper suggestion? ;-)
Thanks for the info!
Wesley
some

enough
easy),
:-(
maybe someting seized (i.e. the aircon compressor, or the ater pump or the power steering pump?) This might cause the squeeling as the belts slip across the stuck pulley...
just a wild one ...

making
like
wife
nasty
sounding -

Louis wrote:

If so, the engine would still run.... Kind regards, Erik-Jan. http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper
For those that may wonder (plus for the sake of the archives and those in the future asking this question and searching google...
Should have asked dad to begin with, he nailed it before the mechanice got to look at it Monday morning. OK, so it helps that their 93 Trooper was on its way to doing about the same thing. :-) As best I can understand it, there's a part on or in front of the engine where most engines have the (oil pump if I remember correctly) that is either attached to the fan or drives the fan or something like that. Anyway, there's some bearings there that have gone out and require replacement of that assembly. In my parent's 93, they discovered it was in sad shape when they were working on something else. In our case, it just all but locked up apparently. So, the part is still on order - they tried to get it in but it was on backorder. Apparently they found one at another dealership and supposedly will have it here tomorrow. I'm afraid to see what this repair bill is going to be...sounded like an expensive part... :-(
Not a good week for 93/94 Troopers...my parents is in the shop too - missing badly. Something about oil leaking thru a seal around a spark plug? Sounding like a $500 repair? Ouch... Oh well, guess that's what happens when you have vehicles with 120-130 couple thousand miles on them... Sad part is, dad's 90 Trooper has almost 120k on it and has never had any non-routine work done except for a manually tranny overhaul... Maybe I better go looking for a 90/91 model to replace the 94... :-)
Thanks to everyone who suggested things to check!
Wesley

some
enough
easy),
:-(
Wesley wrote:

Sounds like, on your car, the waterpump failed. You can consider this routine maintenance if it is 10 years of age. So, no worries and keep on trucking, Erik-Jan.
--

http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper

No, it's something in what drives the fan... Should have a note on the bill when I get it paid tomorrow. I'll try to post exactly what it is once I find out.
Wesley

Wesley wrote:

Sometimes the fan is driven by the waterpump. Don't know much about this particular engine. Like to know. Keep us posted. Kind regards, Erik-Jan. N.B. Hope the bill will be reasonable.
--

http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper

According to the hand-written receipt, the repair guy lists the part as a "Bracket", then in the details of what was done, says "Replace Fan housing assembly" and "Install new drive belt" (which is also a part listed for). Guess the belt was in bad shape too. Total bill was $320, but $64 of that was labor and $40 towing (which I'll turn in to insurance and get back). Not cheap, but still less than the payment I make every month on our new 2002 Trooper... :-)
The latest problem dad just had with their 93 is a seal around a spark plug that started leaking and causing the engine to miss badly. Required replacement of that gasket plus some others that had to come off to get to them.. A little over $500 later and it's back on the road...ouch! Hope ours doesn't follow suit, but thus far it has (starter, then this "fan housing" unit). Of course theirs is a year and probably 10k miles ahead...
Wesley

bill
Wesley wrote:

I did not realize that you might have an electric fan. Only is that case I do not see the relationship with the belt ? Kind regards, Erik-Jan.
--

http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper

I have the same problem with my 94 isuzu trooper. It squealed for a period of time. Progressively getting worse. So finally i had the belts checked. The belts were fine. So i'm guessing, pulley, bearings, a/c clutch..something. Well then one day it's starts acting sluggish starting. then wouldn't start at all. All in one day. So we towed it in. Come to find out it was the starter. Which we had narrowed that down. Once they fixed the starter i asked if that stopped the squeling. No the mechanic replied. he stated that the steering gear was leaking fluid and some was getting on the belts. Sounded a little odd. Told us we were fortunate because in 94 the steering box was a differnt part after apr. If my vehicle was made after april the part would cost $1,050 but luckily mine was made in January and THAT part was ONLY $503.00 Needless to say I'm not convinced that's the problem. We'll find out today when i go pick it up with the new starter. I was hoping the squeling was the starter. I'm gunna clean the engine well and see if i notice any leakage and just see if it is getting on the belts. Just seems from the sound it was making it had more of the metal on metal like you discribe. We'll see and i'll keep you updated. btw my starter repair was $305..and he's saying the steering part change will cost me over $670. Def. worth just checking fluids for a lil while.
[...]
No, it's definitely a belt-driven fan. I think the only relationship to the belt is that it must have been in bad shape, otherwise I can't imagine why they would have replaced it...
Thanks,
Wesley

housing
for).